Tyres and the P-word... (winter / road)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It certainly is very different. I run 70psi rear and 55psi front though, in 28mm Hutchinson Secteurs, so it's not 'normal / tubed' road pressures, arguably, though much narrower than your tyres.
Those sound to me within 5psi of my usual tubed pressures for 28mm, so they seem unremarkable unless you're much heavier than me.

... unremarkable unless you're much heavier than me.

Perfectly worthy of remark in the context of @Pale Rider 's immediately preceding comment, to which I was replying, however; whether or not they're similar to your 28mm pressures.

I think tubeless tyres will have to come down a lot more in price before I give them a go. Im running Pacenti tubeless ready rims on both my steeds so may well give it a try when they are the same price as a tubed tyre + tube.

I really like Michelin Pro 4 Endurance and have been using them for the last couple of years but have been struggling to get them for a reasonable price lately. So I’m now giving the Specialized Roubaix Pro a go. Initial impressions are favourable but I’ve not had them on long enough yet to give them a firm recommendation.

I must be really lucky. I think I’ve had four punctures in 25,000 miles and two of those were during a LEJOG. I must live in a very puncture free area.

I must admit that the thought of a puncture at 0600 on a freezing January morning doesn’t fill me with joy. Because of this I’ve run Marathon Plus for the last couple of winters commuting - but they’re so slow and heavy I can’t face putting them on again and will risk the Roubaix Pros this winter, unless i suffer a puncture fest.

I also have a set of Schwalbe Studded Winter Tyres mounted on a spare set of wheels for those really icy days.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
What you habe to remember wirh tubeless is that you are not paying for all those tubes and patches. Sure you occasionally puncture and need to use a patch but kits generally last years. So coats are broadly similar.

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
Agree. I've been running said tyres now for about five years on a 25 mile round daily commute and had three punctures in that time. Yes, they have their downsides, but for me, the reasonable peace of mind they give more than compensates for having to fix a puncture at 23.30h on a dark rural road - ! :thumbsup:
Although it may be stating the obvious, I also ensure that I steer away from any road debris that is likely to cause a puncture.
Just ordered a pair of Marathons in 28's ( on sale at Halfords at £17, will cost me £13 with my various discounts) to replace my Zaffiro 32's (600 miles with no visit from the fairy as yet!) and do a similar mileage commute to you each day. 3 punctures in 5 years is a good stat, I would take that :okay:

Last edited:
Top Bottom