Tyres......anyone tested these?....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
good performance in the wet sounds like a compromise in the material

I know nothing about tyres btw

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

Steve Austin said:
The gp4000s are the tyre i would go for. Awesome grip, last reasonably well and pretty good prices about too.

Am considering them aswell :biggrin:

I read the Chili compound was supposed to be even better and lighter than the 4000's?

Mind you....they do the 4000's in black/lemon.....which will suit my bike paintwork.:idea:

walker

stevenb said:
Am considering them aswell ;)

I read the Chili compound was supposed to be even better and lighter than the 4000's?

Mind you....they do the 4000's in black/lemon.....which will suit my bike paintwork.;)

even though they are lighter takes down the punture resistance, what are the tyres going to be used for?

the GP 4000's are a great tyre, I have a set myself (although not on the bike yet, I've had them 4 months) But compared to tyres I've used in the past, on first impressions in the box they seem great.

jashburnham

stevenb said:
Am considering them aswell :sad:

Mind you....they do the 4000's in black/lemon.....which will suit my bike paintwork.:ohmy:

There is a suprisingly noticeable improvement in the Chili's over the 4000's. Excellent tyres.

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

jashburnham said:
There is a suprisingly noticeable improvement in the Chili's over the 4000's. Excellent tyres.

I have been reading tghe literature on Ribbles website.
They look good value.:girl:

Will1985

Über Member
I have both GP4000 and GP4000 Chilis on various wheels, but all in black. Both tyres are the best Conti tyres I've used....like walker, I've heard that Attack/Force don't last as long.

Anyhoo....what about the coloured GP4000s? Does the coloured compound affect the rate of wear?

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

Will1985 said:
I have both GP4000 and GP4000 Chilis on various wheels, but all in black. Both tyres are the best Conti tyres I've used....like walker, I've heard that Attack/Force don't last as long.

Anyhoo....what about the coloured GP4000s? Does the coloured compound affect the rate of wear?

Isn't it just the side walls that are coloured? The central part of the tyre is black........?

yello

A great deal depends on your riding. I wrote off a new pair of GP3000s last year on an audax, and I mean new. The tyre walls were ripped to buggery after only a few hundred km, I was not impressed... but then it was my fault really. They are not a tyre for the gravely b-roads much favoured by audax!

I replaced with GP 4 seasons and so far so good... after a few thousand km.

kyuss

Veteran
I've not had much success with Conti tyres. Far to difficult to get on my rims.

Don't know how good the new GP4000 are but I've used GP3000 in the past and was less than impressed. They pick up cuts far too easily. Fairly small cuts mind, and easy to superglue, but not really what you expect from a brand new tyre. The rear is now through to the canvas after only 500 or so miles after I had to get on the brakes pretty sharpish to avoid a car.

Got some Conti Ultra Sports on the commuter (got them free from Planet X after I had to send some wheels back for a rebuild) and although they were fine for the first 100 or so miles they are now cutting and puncturing at an alarming rate.

The best tyre I've used by a long long way have been Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp. I'm on the second pair on the good bike and they're brilliant. Not punctured yet (fingers crossed), no cuts, feel really supple on the road, grippy as a really grippy thing on a grippy day even in the wet, and they last for ages.

jashburnham

kyuss said:
I've not had much success with Conti tyres. Far to difficult to get on my rims.

For some strange reason the Chili versions are very easy to fit. I've had nightmares fitting GP4000's to Fulcrum rims, but the S Black Chili version was one of the easiest I have ever fitted - to exactly the same wheel.

Top Bottom