Tyres for a bike with a child seat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
I've just bought a Hamax child seat to take my 2.5yr old out on the back of the bike, a quick trip down the road last night left me feeling that the 26" x 1.35" Schwalbe CX Pro tyres I have fitted haven't really got that much volume to them. I've got 1.5" slicks, but I get the feeling that a 1.75" semi-knobbly thing like the Michelin Country Rock would be good as it'd have a bit more volume to give a more cushioned ride and it'd do ok on loose surfaces where a full-on 1.5" slick might be a bit lacking.

Has anyone got any recommendations? I'm currently looking at:

Michelin Country Rock
Continental Country Ride
Continental Travel Contact (I'd like these but they're a bit dear)
Schwalbe Silento II
Kenda Trekking Tyre

I have Trekking SKS Blumels on the bike, so it has to be something that will fit under that. Has anyone got experience of any of the above tyres? Any recommendations?

EDIT: Just found that Halfords are doing Continental Travel Contacts, buy 3 get one free so been and bought 3! Anyone want one???!!!

Norm

I know they get frequent praise for their other qualities, but I'm still going to say Schwalbe City Jets.

Norm

I use City Jets on loose surfaces fairly regularly and, whilst they are pants away from tarmac in the wet, I reckon they are pretty good in the dry.

I like the look of those Travel Contacts, though. :thumbsup:

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
I've got the Kenda trekking tyres on my MummyBike, had my son in a child seat for a year, 2 yaers of both boys in a sit in trailer, 2 years towing a Pashley UPlus 2, and the last year with one son on a Mission trailerbike - almost 3,00 miles - The bcak tyre finaly wore out a few weeks ago - The front has laods of life left in it, never gave me any problems & we've done Roads, forest tracks & even the South Downs Way, in all weathers!

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
The country rocks roll well and do grip surprisingly well off-tarmac.

They have no puncture resistant layer built in though. There resistance to visitations isn't terrible but I had noticeably more punctures than the marathons I replaced them with

Top Bottom