Tyres - Halfords freewheeler 1983

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pompeywidow

Regular
So I changed the tyres on my daughters bike
I know I’ve got some fiddling to do to sort the gears out but she’s saying it’s hard to get going? I’m hoping I’ve just over tightened the nuts........
My question is , is there a right or wrong way to put the front tyre back on? There’s no indications on the wheel or tyre although the rim does have rigid super chrome and the date stamped into it.
Sorry if this seems basic but I’m learning 😌

mitchibob

Über Member
Not all tyres are necessarily directional. They'll have some indication on the side if they are.

If at all possible, do not use a tyre lever to get back on!

OP
OP
Pompeywidow

Pompeywidow

Regular
Not all tyres are necessarily directional. They'll have some indication on the side if they are.

If at all possible, do not use a tyre lever to get back on!
Both are on , no levers used haven’t got any 🤪
I’ll go ahead and loosen slightly see what that does then tackle the pesky gears!!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Even if the tyres are directional getting them wrong won’t make any difference.
When fitting and tightening the back wheel make sure it’s central in the frame and it equidistant from the chain stays. To check if there is something binding lift the back of the bike and spin the pedals, you’ll see if anything is wrong. Over tightening shouldn’t be an issue.

OP
OP
Pompeywidow

Pompeywidow

Regular
Even if the tyres are directional getting them wrong won’t make any difference.
When fitting and tightening the back wheel make sure it’s central in the frame and it equidistant from the chain stays. To check if there is something binding lift the back of the bike and spin the pedals, you’ll see if anything is wrong. Over tightening shouldn’t be an issue.
Should it be right in there?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
Pompeywidow

Pompeywidow

Regular
What I meant was centering the rim in the chainstays, here's a video:

View: https://youtu.be/ntfXgMDOveg