Tyres popping off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Had an off today.. well, nearly, more of a clown-like stumble, but in traffic, could've been worse.
Had put bike into not-so local bike shop (local one closed down) to fit new shifters (shimano sora)... not cheap! Anyways, shop kindly pointed out rip in rear tyre I hadn't seen, so I bought a new one, which they fitted (for a fiver!).
Gosh I thought, I never get my tyres that hard, as I rode off towards bankruptcy and home... 5 mins down road, squeak squeak rub rub stumble stumble... new tyre had popped right off the rim!
Negligence? Worth me having a word? It's a reputable name (I think), and 1st time I've used them (possibly last too..) Or is a tyre popping off just one of those things?
As it turns out, I'd forgot my pump, shop had shut, and Mrs F had to pick me up, as I had to let tube down to get tyre back on without bu99ering the tube... should I complain (don't know what they can actually do about it) but I was a bit miffed...
Whaddya reckon?

Night Train

Maker of Things
I would say talk to them even if you decide not to use them again. You might get to find out what they did wrong and also what they will do about it, not only for your inconvenience but also to stop it happening again.

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Fair enough Dave5N, but...
The shifters and gears... well, I can't do them (yet!) but only got them to do tyre as I was in shop and it made sense (not able to carry one home, want to use bike Sat without having to go 15 mils to nearest bike shop, and so on...)
I am going to speak to them today, see what they say...

Brock

I can't see any reason for the tyre 'popping off' other than it was fitted by a careless monkey, or it was the wrong size tyre.
Since you were having work done there anyway, and bought the tyre from them I'm a bit disgusted they charged you a fiver for fitting it anyway, let alone when it turns out they did a sloppy and potentially dangerous job of it.
I'd be inclined to go back in and scream phrases like:
'ARE YOU TRYING TO F*&$ING KILL ME!?!?'
'FULL REFUND F£*($ING'
'F&*$ING SOLICITOR F&*$(ING'
etc.

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Brock said:
btw, did the innertube not blow out when the tyre came off?
No, it didn't, thankfully...
Just phoned them, and they were very apologetic... not sure what could really be done, as i don't really live near, and can't take time out to go and give them a bollocking, but the guy I spoke to is going to pass it on to the person who fitted it... I'll think twice about using them again, but did it as my lbs closed some time ago, and this was nearest place that could fit me in within a reasonable time frame for the shifters.... they also run saturday courses for bike maintenance...hmm, not so sure I'd trust them now, was going to sign up for one! Never mind....

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Sometimes tyres popping off like that are due to a mismatch between the rim and the tyre combination. So in fairness it isn't necessarily the LBS's fault - just a silly on the tolerances by differing manufacturers. But at the very least the LBS should offer to fit a different tyre (for free). You should be ble to find a rim/tyre combination that works.

Top Bottom