Tyres to use with Brompton bottle dynamo?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Howdo,

Just looking at a new set of tyres for a late-2005 P6R-X with olde worlde bottle dynamo driven off the rear tyre.

Brilliant Bikes helpfully note in their listing for Schwalbe Marathon Plus 16 x 1.35 that they are not suitable for use with the bottle dyno.

Therefore could anyone advise what tyre size I should get, please?

Thanks

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It's probably the sidewall rather than the width. A bottle dynamo needs a dynamo track, or at least a fairly even ring to run on. A few tyres still have a dynamo track but bottles are a bit of a rarity now hub dynamos are so widely available.

u_i

Über Member
My regular Marathons have a track. A dynamo may work OK without one if it is dry. Once any water is present, the dynamo is likely not going to operate without a track.

OP
OP
C

coffeehound

Regular
Useful info, thank you.

I'm now seriously intrigued by the solid Tannus tyres discussed in another thread . . perhaps the old dyno will get replaced if it doesn't work
Hmm.gif

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

coffeehound

Regular
Thinking I'd prefer M+ for the extra puncture resistance now. Please can anyone advise whether the M+ are wider or narrower than standard M? Wonder if I can shim out the dyno's mounting or something . .

Top Bottom