Tyres with directional arrow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RichardB

Slightly retro
I was fiddling about with the posh bike the other day and noticed that the tyres (Schwalbe Marathons) have an arrow on them to show the correct mounting orientation. The front one was mounted backwards, i.e. with the arrow pointing in the reverse direction of travel. Is this correct, or an error? I ask because I know some dirt (motor)bike riders mount the front tyre backwards for better mud clearance under braking, but I'm not sure that this is relevant to a road-oriented tourer and tyres with only a nominal tread. The bike is going back to the LBS soon for its free service, and I was going to ask them to correct it, but I thought I would ask here before revealing my ignorance. Thanks for any observations.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Take the wheel out, turn it round, refit...........................it's now the right way round (unless you've got disc brakes in which case they won't work. :whistle:)

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
Take the wheel out, turn it round, refit...........................it's now the right way round (unless you've got disc brakes in which case they won't work. :whistle:)

Too easy. Actually, I thought of that, and then thought of a reason why it wouldn't work, and now I have forgotten the reason. I'll try again.

Posh bike and Marathons.

I need a lie down................:laugh:

Everything's relative. It's the poshest thing I own.

Back to the question - is reversing the tyre something people do, or is it an error? Just so I know.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I was fiddling about with the posh bike the other day and noticed that the tyres (Schwalbe Marathons) have an arrow on them to show the correct mounting orientation. The front one was mounted backwards, i.e. with the arrow pointing in the reverse direction of travel. Is this correct, or an error? I ask because I know some dirt (motor)bike riders mount the front tyre backwards for better mud clearance under braking, but I'm not sure that this is relevant to a road-oriented tourer and tyres with only a nominal tread. The bike is going back to the LBS soon for its free service, and I was going to ask them to correct it, but I thought I would ask here before revealing my ignorance. Thanks for any observations.

Some mountain bikers mount the tyres with opposed treads - something to do with cornering grip on the front and traction at the rear.

Not relevant in your case.

The 'backwards' tyre will work just the same as if it was the other way around.

Only problem is fractionally faster tread wear.

Marathons last so well, I doubt you would ever notice.

You could get the tyre changed, but at the risk of becoming too anal, you have already worn in the treads in the 'wrong' direction so there's probably now no point in changing the tyre to point the right way.

Tojo

Über Member
Yup....most road tyres have a rotation arrow on them for one way but if you look at MTB tyres they have directional arrows for if you put them either the front or the back...:cuppa:

Milkfloat

An Peanut

+1,if the skewer us dos up on 'the wrong side' then just refit it. For some reason I always observe the directionality, even on the kids bikes.

martint235

Dog on a bike
You might get slightly less rolling resistance if you put it the correct way round but given the weight of a marathon your gain will be negligible.

I remember the fashion in the early 90s to put the rear MTB tyre on backwards for more grip. Thinking back I think it was probably misinformed (maybe the manufacturer had already factored this in for example)

zacklaws

Guru
Fit rear tyres in the direction the rotational arrows point and front tyres the opposite regardless of road or MTB. On the rear it provides the grip whilst pedalling and on the front where there is no forces applied with peddaling it assists with braking and reduces lockups by loosing the front wheel with sliding on a wet surface for example.

MTB bikes can have both tyres fitted with the rotaional arrows pointing backwards if the emphasis of a ride is fast downhill and lots of hard braking required, but if its a wet muddy surface and the emphasis on climbing, then the rear tyre needs fitting correctly to get the grip.

Andywinds

Fit rear tyres in the direction the rotational arrows point and front tyres the opposite regardless of road or MTB. On the rear it provides the grip whilst pedalling and on the front where there is no forces applied with peddaling it assists with braking and reduces lockups by loosing the front wheel with sliding on a wet surface for example.

MTB bikes can have both tyres fitted with the rotaional arrows pointing backwards if the emphasis of a ride is fast downhill and lots of hard braking required, but if its a wet muddy surface and the emphasis on climbing, then the rear tyre needs fitting correctly to get the grip.
Is this fact? I've been riding in the forest and BPW in large groups and never heard of this before? Maybe I've just not paid attention?

Top Bottom