Tyres with directional arrow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Fit rear tyres in the direction the rotational arrows point and front tyres the opposite regardless of road or MTB. On the rear it provides the grip whilst pedalling and on the front where there is no forces applied with peddaling it assists with braking and reduces lockups by loosing the front wheel with sliding on a wet surface for example.

MTB bikes can have both tyres fitted with the rotaional arrows pointing backwards if the emphasis of a ride is fast downhill and lots of hard braking required, but if its a wet muddy surface and the emphasis on climbing, then the rear tyre needs fitting correctly to get the grip.
Surely if there was that much to be gained, manufacturers would issue front/rear specific tyres? It's not like they're slow to try to take cash from us.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Surely if there was that much to be gained, manufacturers would issue front/rear specific tyres? It's not like they're slow to try to take cash from us.
There is one l, Mavic griplink(f) and powerlink(r)

Im probably just going to bin them

Citius

Riding with tyres fitted in the wrong direction creates a time vortex, where although you are travelling forwards, the tyres have actually travelled backwards. You could be risking the entire fabric of time with irresponsible actions like this...

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Here's what Schwalbe says:

In the case of a road tire the rolling direction is mainly important for aesthetic considerations. Tires marked with arrows simply look more dynamic.

Off road, the rolling direction is far more important, as the tread ensures optimum connection between the tire and the ground. The rear wheel transmits the driving force and the front wheel transmits the braking and steering forces. Driving and braking forces operate in different directions. That is why certain tires are fitted in opposite rotating directions when used as front and rear tires.

There are also treads without a specified rotating direction.

http://www.schwalbe.com/en/profil.html

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I realised - tread marks on a dry surface - that the front tyre on my tourer is the wrong way round a few days ago. Annoying, mainly because I'd thought about it at the time but I must have had the wheel the wrong way round in my hands. I'm not going to do anything about it, though: the front tyre going backwards doesn't cancel the forward motion from the back tyre, and if there's any water dispersal off road surfaces, I can't see why the water should care whether it's forced forwards of the tyre or backwards. It'll only go back to where it was once I've gone.

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
if there's any water dispersal off road surfaces, I can't see why the water should care whether it's forced forwards of the tyre or backwards. It'll only go back to where it was once I've gone.
It's not forwards or backwards, though, it's outwards or inwards. The diagonal voids direct water from the centre of the tread to the outside as the tyre rolls over the surface, and if you have the tyre on backwards this will work in reverse, squeezing all the water under the tread instead of clearing it to the side. Think of a tractor tyre in thick mud. As others have said, I think for a bicycle application any effect is marginal and probably doesn't matter, but the principle is sound.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
It's not forwards or backwards, though, it's outwards or inwards. The diagonal voids direct water from the centre of the tread to the outside as the tyre rolls over the surface, and if you have the tyre on backwards this will work in reverse, squeezing all the water under the tread instead of clearing it to the side. Think of a tractor tyre in thick mud. As others have said, I think for a bicycle application any effect is marginal and probably doesn't matter, but the principle is sound.
In my logic, the water's already there and the tyre arrives directly down on the water. It has to get displaced somewhere and the existence of small channels on my Schwalbe Supremes assist it in going outwards. If the water were flowing, it might be possibly be different but the tyre's movement in relation to the road is up and down (unless you're skidding and if it's your front tyre that's slipping all bets are off anyway.) In any case, I've never witnessed the catastrophic effects of a tractor reversing on mud. I'd need @young Ed to tell me where the mud goes. I can't see any reason why the mud should be forced inwards though.

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
If you have a directional tyre on mud and the tyre is slipping, it will force the mud outwards and keep the tread clear to bite into the surface. If you try that in reverse (or with the tyre on backwards) the mud will pack under the tyre, the treads will fill up and you will effectively have slicks. However, this is when a tyre is slipping and moving in relation to the surface, not rolling along it, and I am now inclined to think that your post was right - backwards or forwards, it will push it out whatever. And we are talking about water and not mud, so my point is probably irrelevant. Wouldn't be the first time.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
ermm.....on road, tread matters not a bit. Your tyre can't bite into the road surface. Your tyre is too skinny to aquaplane; its curvature naturally displaces water, so doesnt need channels to force the water out of the way. The more rubber you can get on the road (i.e. the less "tread") the better. Off road is a different story. Great explanation here

Top Bottom