Tyres wrongly sized at Halfords

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
My next door neighbour bought a pair of what he thought were 26 X 1 1/4 tyres at the Scarborough Branch of Halfords. When he got them home it was obvious that the tyres were too large for his wheels. we checked the labels on the tyres and they stated 26 X 1 1/4, then we checked the size marked on the tyre itself and that too stated the same. we then checked that his wheels were in fact 26 inch and they were. The tyres were even too large for my 700c wheels and also my 27 inch wheels so I suspect they were probably 28 inch tyres. To be fair, they were exchanged without quibble for a more expensive pair of tyres at no extra cost but exchanging them had involved a 40 mile round trip.
Moral of the story, if you buy a pair of Halfords own brand tyre, check that the tyre is the correct size no matter what the label says

oldroadman

Veteran
Why would anyone buy own brand tyres from Halfords?? Cheap is not usually much of a long term saving.

My neighbour bought a pair of shoes from Clerks, they turned out to be the wrong size for his feet so he took them back and changed them for a better pair. I then went on ClerksChat.co.uk and moaned about it.

Things get mis-labled all the time, Asda Beef anyone?:hungry:

OP
OP
taximan

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
The tyres were in my opinion about 28 inch , and no, they were not folding tyres. They were probably wrongly marked at the factory (in Sri Lanka) which makes me wonder how many tyres were in the batch. There could be hundreds floating around somewhere. The reason I posted about this originally was to alert people who may intend to buy this tyre at Halfords.

tyred

Legendary Member
I bought one Halfords own brand tyre in 27 x 1 1/4" and it is the best reason I can think of for not buying another one.

It fitted fine but punctured constantly.

Top Bottom