Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Looking for some gravel tyres around 40mm and light as possible, anything out there that anyone has come across??

would be used on tarmac aswell for commuting

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Panaracer Gravel King SK

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
What do you mean by gravel?
I did an interesting all-road ride yesterday on my 32mm Randonneur pro's which I think are pretty light for such a robust tyre. Most people might call them slick but they were actually very grippy apart from (obviously) thick muddy wet leaves and wet grass.
Nothing really grips on loose gravel which effectively acts like marbles while most things will grip on packed stone (hardpack?) so a bit of handling skill is required to keep control of the bike and know when grip is likely to be a problem.
The Vittoria Randonneur is available in 35mm folding and 40mm wired but importantly will be perfect for the road commute requirement.

KneesUp

Guru
I also have Vittoria Randonneur (in 26 x 1 1/2) and also use them for road riding and cycle paths with the kid (gravel) and riding through the woods (mud, twigs and leaves) As @I like Skol says, they are generally acceptable, but cannot deal with with wet very well. I usually* swap wheels to ones with XC tyes when the kid and I go on the Trans Pennine Trail section nearest to us.

I do find the Randonneurs to feel very dead and heavy unelss they are pumped up quite hard.

* i.e. when I remember.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Got these on my Spech AWOL good grip on soft dirt and comfortable on rutted tracks. Come in 35c & 40c, about £15. Roll reasonable on the road.
4B9293B9-AEF7-45C1-981A-F62C2AE4C101.jpeg

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
What do you mean by gravel?
I did an interesting all-road ride yesterday on my 32mm Randonneur pro's which I think are pretty light for such a robust tyre. Most people might call them slick but they were actually very grippy apart from (obviously) thick muddy wet leaves and wet grass.
Nothing really grips on loose gravel which effectively acts like marbles while most things will grip on packed stone (hardpack?) so a bit of handling skill is required to keep control of the bike and know when grip is likely to be a problem.
The Vittoria Randonneur is available in 35mm folding and 40mm wired but importantly will be perfect for the road commute requirement.
more mixed terrain bike route than solely gravel.......but wanted less of a cx tyre and more of a roadie type

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
38s tan wall
Classic.

Top Bottom