Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnno260

Veteran
I’m a little miffed, bike was stored well over winter off the floor basically hung it from the ceiling, I got it out checked tyre pressure etc and it was a little low so pumped them up but some cracks appeared in the tyre.

I’m assuming don’t use?

I’m not too happy as these tyres haven’t covered many miles.

Any opinions please.

Attachments

• 2B85C8B0-576A-496A-9F58-BE7A567EA881.jpeg
    2B85C8B0-576A-496A-9F58-BE7A567EA881.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 15B937FE-1C29-4E7D-AFAA-887F9987F9FB.jpeg
    15B937FE-1C29-4E7D-AFAA-887F9987F9FB.jpeg
    94.1 KB · Views: 79
  • A6856C0C-75BD-46A5-830E-86048AF1363D.jpeg
    A6856C0C-75BD-46A5-830E-86048AF1363D.jpeg
    245.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 76FB3FF1-1E0C-4CEA-AC43-7267BDB43C8E.jpeg
    76FB3FF1-1E0C-4CEA-AC43-7267BDB43C8E.jpeg
    155.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 24199AB3-5A94-4812-8C51-E953A668A17B.jpeg
    24199AB3-5A94-4812-8C51-E953A668A17B.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 70

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Not good. Don't know what to advise really.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have had similar but on the sidewalls, not in the tread region. Mine were Schwalbes and while not very impressive it was never an issue and the tyres went on to complete a full lifespan.
Your tyres strength relies on the cords of the carcass so they shouldn't fail due to the splits in the rubber but it may allow debris in that could damage the carcass or cause puncture?
Your call really. I would probably continue to use them until punctures became an issue but would replace them earlier than normal.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
ok thanks guys, it’s really annoying as they aren’t that old.

Also grip wise I really like them but not sure I would get another set.

I went for a little ride but noticed on corner the splits really spread.

Also this isn’t anywhere near max pressure, if I try and add more pressure it looks way worse.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Doesn't look good does it? I don't think I'd risk riding them.

I've got a set of Rubino Pros (folders) with about 3 months use that I've had in storage for a bit - I'm going to have to have a look now.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
Doesn't look good does it? I don't think I'd risk riding them.

I've got a set of Rubino Pros (folders) with about 3 months use that I've had in storage for a bit - I'm going to have to have a look now.

Check them 100% these were stored ok over the winter the bike wasn’t used much.

I’m going to contact my LBS as I have the receipt but not sure it will help.

Can people suggest good alternatives but not conti’s I have tried some and hated them.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Check them 100% these were stored ok over the winter the bike wasn’t used much.
I’m going to contact my LBS as I have the receipt but not sure it will help.
Can people suggest good alternatives but not conti’s I have tried some and hated them.

I really liked the Rubino Pros in the summer, but as soon as autumn came and it got colder and wetter I had issues with them breaking traction when I was climbing - funnily enough I swapped them out for a pair of Continental Gatorskins.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
I tried Gators the other year and hated them haha

They got several punctures and on two occasions it was the most pathetic thorn ever! haha

I also had no faith in them on corners.

Many friends like Pirelli’s.

Last edited:

Heigue'r

Veteran
Michelin pro 4 endurance are a nice tyre,I changed to these on recomendation from a member here and really happy with them..I tried gp4000's a couple of times,really nice tyre but no match whatso ever for the debris on the commute,ripped to shreds in a few 100 miles

lane

Veteran
Michelin pro 4 endurance are a nice tyre,I changed to these on recomendation from a member here and really happy with them..I tried gp4000's a couple of times,really nice tyre but no match whatso ever for the debris on the commute,ripped to shreds in a few 100 miles

I have also have good experience of Michelin pro 4 endurance. Good tyre recommended.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
ok cheers guys, I have decided to not take the risk of going out on this.

If I add more pressure the cracks open right up so I think a puncture is pretty certain, also I’m assuming the tyres perished so the rubber won’t be as supple to grip could be reduced.

I also use Michelin Pro 4 Endurance and really like them.

Also, like you, one of my rides is a Merida Ride 400 and I’ve found it can just take 28c without mudguards which give a fast, comfortable ride.

Graham

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
I also use Michelin Pro 4 Endurance and really like them.

Also, like you, one of my rides is a Merida Ride 400 and I’ve found it can just take 28c without mudguards which give a fast, comfortable ride.

Graham

ah ok thanks.

I found the Merida so comfortable when I test rode it, and it is the first drop bar bike I have owned and I had tried so many.

Store near me has a Reacto in black and green and it looks so nice but aero is a little pointless for me.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
I have gone with the Pirelli P-Zero several friends recommended them, If people want I can post opinions after a few ride?
Be good to hear how you find them, perhaps after a couple of thousand kilometres. The testing data look OK: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews/pirelli-p-zero-velo-2017
"According to Pirelli, the molecules in [the tyre's tread] compound organise themselves in sticks rather than random balls, which is said to decrease rolling resistance and heat generation."

Top Bottom