Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I use either Conti 5000TL or Schwalbe Pro TLE all year around and don't bother with a specific winter tyre. I need all the help I can get to stay in the group. Running tubeless allows lower pressures and I have not have a hole that I could not seal even if I had to use a plug. I see no reason to change.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Conti GP 4 Season on one bike, Michelin Pro 4 Endurance on the other. Both tubed, all year round. Both bikes e-road.

OP
OP
rivers

rivers

How far can I go?
The issue I found with tubeless for road was that when you get a hole too big for the sealant, plugs don't really work.

At road pressures (even though lower than you would use with tubed), the plugs just blow out. Admittedly, that was with 28mm tyres, not the 32mm you are talking of, but I don't expect pressures will be all that much lower.

Have no issues currently with the 32s

OP
OP
rivers

rivers

How far can I go?
Marathon Supreme - I've been riding 35c on the LHT and like the ride and been puncture free. They do 32c and tubeless (if you can get them).

I'm not interested in anything in the marathon range. I want/need a tyre with low rolling resistance (not as low as a race tyre but not slow rolling).

iandg

Legendary Member
I'm not interested in anything in the marathon range. I want/need a tyre with low rolling resistance (not as low as a race tyre but not slow rolling).

Supreme isn't a slow rolling tyre. Comparable to the likes of Panaracer Pasella and Continental Gatorskin. Faster than the likes of Gravelkings (according to bicyclerollingresistance.com)

I've averaged 25kph+ for a 200km audax using 35c tubed on a Surly LHT.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rivers

rivers

How far can I go?
Just thought I'd update- decided to give the new vittoria corsa n.ext tyres a try. They're not exactly a commuting tyre (more along the lines of a gp5000), but supposedly quite durable, excellent grip in the wet, and a low rolling resistance. So we'll see how it goes. Pretty easy to set up tubeless. Bit of a faff if you need to put in a tube (my rear tubeless valve was shot), but doable.

YellowV2

Veteran
The issue I found with tubeless for road was that when you get a hole too big for the sealant, plugs don't really work.

At road pressures (even though lower than you would use with tubed), the plugs just blow out. Admittedly, that was with 28mm tyres, not the 32mm you are talking of, but I don't expect pressures will be all that much lower.

Not had any problems and I use 25's, I've had one in a sidewall which took 3 plugs to seal enough to get me home, before I binned the tyre.
What plugs have you tried/used?

OP, I use IRC Formula Pro X guard although 30mm is the biggest size.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Hutchinson Fusion 5 All Season Tubeless, I run 28c tyres (at 60-65psi) , great grip, low rolling resistance, much better than riding with conti grand prix 4 seasons or gatorskins.

Alex321

Veteran
Not had any problems and I use 25's, I've had one in a sidewall which took 3 plugs to seal enough to get me home, before I binned the tyre.
What plugs have you tried/used?

OP, I use IRC Formula Pro X guard although 30mm is the biggest size.

I only tried the muc-off plugs.

The tyres I had suggested a minimum pressure of 75 psi (I'd been running at 80, they suggested a max of 95), and the plugs were blowing out at about 70 or just below.

I'll probably give it another go sometime, maybe keep them at about 65 regardless of manufacturer stated minimum.

YellowV2

Veteran
I only tried the muc-off plugs.

The tyres I had suggested a minimum pressure of 75 psi (I'd been running at 80, they suggested a max of 95), and the plugs were blowing out at about 70 or just below.

I'll probably give it another go sometime, maybe keep them at about 65 regardless of manufacturer stated minimum.

I normally run at about 75/65 but the thing is when you insert a plug you don't need to get to those pressures to ride on, you can ride considerably lower. When I had my sidewall gash the most I could get in was 35ish but it was enough to get home.
I use Maxalami from the cycle clinic they are quite sticky.

Alex321

Veteran
I normally run at about 75/65 but the thing is when you insert a plug you don't need to get to those pressures to ride on, you can ride considerably lower. When I had my sidewall gash the most I could get in was 35ish but it was enough to get home.
I use Maxalami from the cycle clinic they are quite sticky.

Yes, I could have got home on them probably, but the plugs are supposed to be a permanent fix, so they need to be able to take the pressure you ride on regularly.

YellowV2

Veteran
Yes, I could have got home on them probably, but the plugs are supposed to be a permanent fix, so they need to be able to take the pressure you ride on regularly.

Yes they are and in my experience have been with the exception of the side wall repair where I replaced the tyre.
You could try flexible super glue to help, which I have used to repair a cut without inserting a worm where the sealant had almost sealed the hole.

Top Bottom