Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pw2389

yorkshiregoth said:
On the BA website it suggests that one deflates the tyres when travelling with a bike but it doesn't state that it is necessary.

When I travelled with BA during the summer (departing from Heathrow), I was asked to deflate the tyres on the outward journey. I let out some and they were happy with this. On the return journey, the staff at Tokyo airport insisted I let out most of the air (I let out some but they gave the tyres a squeeze and demanded that I let out more - I tried to explain about the fact that the BA info implies letting air out is optional but they didn't have sufficient grasp of English and my Japanese certainly wasn't up to this task).

As others have said, it's a bit of a pain to have to pump the tyres up again (when you're tired and have being dealing with all sorts of other issues). This was made worse on arrival in Tokyo as my s*dding pump decided it wasn't going to work, so I had to find a bike shop to get my tyres up to pressure (and a functioning pump).

They put pets in the hold, they don't explode, s'all bollox.

Tony

I always let the air out of my tyres to avoid having to pay excess baggage charges on the weight.

wallabyhunter

Pets go in the hold too and they tend not to explode.

:biggrin:He he I like that, domestic flights in Aus have no such requirements. I traveled from Per - Melb, & didn't deflate anything. After the whole bike/airport hassle, I'm glad I didn't have the added heart ache of having to reinflate any tyres.

gb

Top Bottom