U-Turn - Opinion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
In what way is the U turn illegal?

Why were you riding in the door zone?

Why did you not moderate your speed when taking an exposed position both in the door zone and near the crown of the road?

Considering the number of motor vehicles around, and the inherent danger in the maneuver in which you engaged, why was your head glued straight ahead? Dreadful observation skills.

And why the tourettes? You have no knowledge of the occupants of that car or their propensity to react violently .

The car driver really was very naughty and should have used their mirrors. However, a safe and competent cyclist should be anticipating such opportunities for danger, yet you chose to fling yourself head long towards without slowing and without proper obs instead. There is a salutory lesson there for both of you.

If you report it to the police you might want to remove the S4a POA soundtrack first.

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
In what way is the U turn illegal?

Why were you riding in the door zone?

Why did you not moderate your speed when taking an exposed position near the crown of the road?

Considering the number of motor vehicles around, and the inherent danger in the maneuver in which you engaged, why was your head glued straight ahead? Dreadful observation skills.

And why the tourettes? You have no knowledge of the occupants of that car or their propensity to react violently .

The car driver really was very naughty and should have used their mirrors. However, a safe and competent cyclist should be anticipating such opportunities for danger, yet you chose to fling yourself head long towards without slowing and without proper obs instead. There is a salutory lesson there for both of you.

This is why i was keen on opinions. I filter along this road most days, you are correct that i am probably in the door zone but the camera does skew the perception of distance. I'm further away than you'd think!

Moderating speed is something i should perhaps consider, taken on board.

I don't understand about my head facing straight ahead - what would you advise?

The tourettes... now that is slightly inexcusable. I lost my cool because the car pulled out without warning and perhaps i should have considered the idiocy of mouthing off. However, we've all been there have we not?

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
It's perfectly legal. Some roads carry a no u-turn sign, there's one near me - and people ignore the signs which is extremely dangerous on that section - that is not legal.

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
+1 for all the above, I'm afraid.

It's scant comfort being "in the right" when you're lying broken in the gutter.

Absolutely. I don't ride to be in the 'right' but i'd be keen to given the same respect on the road as other users. Or, at least, the same amount of space.

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
It's perfectly legal. Some roads carry a no u-turn sign, there's one near me - and people ignore the signs which is extremely dangerous on that section - that is not legal.

My understanding of U-turns was they were illegal but happy to be educated on the matter!

Drago

Legendary Member
I'd advise looking round regularly, including behind, regularly. Its a danger rich environment.

Don't worry, I'm not knocking you. The car driver was clearly a tool. The difference is they've probably forgotten already whereas you're thinking about it and will probably learn something from the experience.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
If you spend a moment thinking about the car driver:
He's probably had a cursory glance in his mirror, out of habit hopefully. He could easily not have registered your presence (or speed).
100% of his attention is then aimed at the biggest threat to HIM. That's human nature. The biggest threat to him is the oncoming traffic - that's what could hurt him.
Halfway through his manoeuvre, he's thought "where the f*** did that bike come from?".
So, moral of the tale is never to assume anyone knows you're there, and take your fate out of their hands.

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
If you spend a moment thinking about the car driver:
He's probably had a cursory glance in his mirror, out of habit hopefully. He could easily not have registered your presence (or speed).
100% of his attention is then aimed at the biggest threat to HIM. That's human nature. The biggest threat to him is the oncoming traffic - that's what could hurt him.
Halfway through his manoeuvre, he's thought "where the f*** did that bike come from?".
So, moral of the tale is never to assume anyone knows you're there, and take your fate out of their hands.

Absolutely; on reflection i should have slowed down. Lesson learned!

Top Bottom