U-Turn - Opinion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Absolutely; on reflection i should have slowed down. Lesson learned!
200w (8).gif

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Illegal U-Turns (from http://www.drivingexpert.co.uk/turning-your-vehicle-around.html)
A U-turn is considered to be illegal if one of the following happens:
  • You cross a kerb
  • You cross double white lines in the centre of the road (unless there is a gap between them)
  • Road markings or signs indicate 'No U-turns'
  • You are on a one-way street

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
He's probably had a cursory glance in his mirror, out of habit hopefully. He could easily not have registered your presence (or speed).

The position the Astra driver has taken, so far over to the nearside and already with his car's nose angled to the right, has precluded any benefit in checking his offside mirror; the rider would not be seen in it. Driver's concern is indeed only what's coming the other way so he's a plank for the manoeuvre.

I don't think the rider's language is OTT and maybe his filtering speed was high, I don't know, the appearance of speed is often deceptive with helmet cams.
I'd say the rider needn't beat himself up too much about this, as he was able to stop in time to avoid a collision and the near hit is the driver's fault. As for reporting it, experience tells me it won't be worth the bother and I'd just use it as a way to improve observation and riding skills.

Drago

Legendary Member
The language isn't OTT, but is uncalled for and at best achieves nothing, and at worst risks his life. There are also other unintended consequences.

Many, many moons ago my oldest Daughter hit a car with her moped. I wasn't present, but from the description of events I'm pretty sure it was her fault.

Then driver leaped out and stood over her while she was laying in the road and subjected her to a tirade of abuse. Passers by tried to stop him, to no avail. In the end a passing white van man threatened into crack Mateys skull if her didn't stop, and it was only at that point he wound his neck in.

Before long letters from insurers arrived, and I wrote back offering their client a choice. He could drop the claim for damage to his car, in exchange for which my lass would not progress a criminal complaint for offences under S4 of the public order act. With 4 witnesses in my back pocket the criminal case would be a slam dunk and as well as a criminal record he'd probably get a fine in excess of the value of the damage to his vehicle. I also forwarded them the crime number to show were were serious.

Your call, 7 days to respond please.

I had him by the balls, and he dropped the claim and in return my lass informed TVP she no longer wished to pursue a prosecution. In effect his gob talked him out of recovering the costs to repair his vehicle.

Nothing good whatsoever comes of such behaviour on the road, all you do is risk your own safety and give your opponent ammunition to screw you with instead. If he'd behaved like a sensible adult I'd have probably paid for the damage out of my own pocket , but behave like an uncivilised animal you can expect to get merrily shafted in return now and again. Aside from which, should people with so little self control be allowed on the road in the first place?

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Sorry but I agree with @Drago, @Oldfentiger and others - that's not an illegal u-turn AFAICT (at least not until they mount the far kerb long after your conflict - careless and poor observation maybe) but you were overtaking too close and into oncoming traffic, almost leaving yourself nowhere to go if anyone turned right into a driveway or similar. The riding's borderline and the road rage is inexcusable - swearing and shouting was wrong but understandable and excusable IMO, but turning and hunting them down was definitely not.

So I'd not report it and, in that sort of situation, try harder to use the other lane when it's clear and either wait or slow right down when it's not.

gbb

Legendary Member
Been there, done that.
50 / 50 with hindsight in my experience.
He should take more care and look more, you're inviting problems cycling at speed on the offside of slow/stationary traffic.

Schneil

Veteran
The car didn't signal, so I'm guessing didn't bother looking to see you.

On the door-zone comments. How far out should the cyclist have been from the cars? It's a narrow lane. Any more over and I guess you'd risk conflict with cars coming in the opposite direction. I'd have taken that line myself, just a little slower as I might be in a blind spot or two.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Granted this is from a motorbike site, but sound filtering advice here relevant to us as well:

As if happens, I was filtering in a similar manner a few weeks ago when a van a few cars in front decided to do a u-turn.

I had ample time to brake safely, but the motorcyclist who was overtaking me at the same time (and who obviously hadn't read that link) had to do a rather spectacular emergency stop.

In what way is the U turn illegal?

Why were you riding in the door zone?

Why did you not moderate your speed when taking an exposed position both in the door zone and near the crown of the road?

Considering the number of motor vehicles around, and the inherent danger in the maneuver in which you engaged, why was your head glued straight ahead? Dreadful observation skills.

And why the tourettes? You have no knowledge of the occupants of that car or their propensity to react violently .

The car driver really was very naughty and should have used their mirrors. However, a safe and competent cyclist should be anticipating such opportunities for danger, yet you chose to fling yourself head long towards without slowing and without proper obs instead. There is a salutory lesson there for both of you.

If you report it to the police you might want to remove the S4a POA soundtrack first.

No signal = illegal U turn

PK99

Legendary Member
No signal = illegal U turn

In Canada you are correct, in the UK not so:

Not the key word "Should" not "must"

HWC Rule 103: Drivers and riders should make proper Highway Code signals to warn nearby traffic that you are intending to change course or direction. This includes providing directional information of your intended motions to other road users and pedestrians. Motorists should always;

In Canada you are correct, in the UK not so:

Not the key word "Should" not "must"

HWC Rule 103: Drivers and riders should make proper Highway Code signals to warn nearby traffic that you are intending to change course or direction. This includes providing directional information of your intended motions to other road users and pedestrians. Motorists should always;

Does this rule not lead to a lot of confusion, if no one is responsible to indicate their intentions ?

Top Bottom