UCI and ASO

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Let's see,
- ASO and allies have TdF, Giro, Vuelta, Paris-Roubaix, a whole set of other classics and stage races
- UCI has a (dwindling) number of other races, the Worlds, the Olympics

If I were a sponsor, which would I rather my team entered, hmmm let me think...

rich p

ridiculous old lush
andy_wrx said:
Let's see,
- ASO and allies have TdF, Giro, Vuelta, Paris-Roubaix, a whole set of other classics and stage races
- UCI has a (dwindling) number of other races, the Worlds, the Olympics

If I were a sponsor, which would I rather my team entered, hmmm let me think...

I agree.
As I've said before, the Worlds, Olympics and global racing in Asia and Australia etc are relatively small fry. Cycling needs a governing body for coherence but the UCI have sadly failed to show leadership for years which is why we are where we are.

Yep.

The Olympics matter to trackies like Wiggins or Cavendish plus some of the Australians, most of the rest don't bother too much with them
(- but aren't these really trackies who also race in the professional peloton rather than mainstream pro riders wanting to do the Olympics ?)

The Worlds, OK they matter more, but not as much as they used to in decades past.

Asia, Australia, Africa ? Look at the teams who went to TDU earlier this year, or Qinghai Lakes last year.
Ignoring Australians in their home event, any other big names ?
- no, the ProTour teams used it as experience for their junior squads, there were more big names in (ASO's) Qatar...

mondobongo

Über Member
The Teams have elected unaminously to take part in Paris-Nice and the Association of Pro Cyclists has a meeting scheduled with the International Cycling Federation to discuss the crisis early next week.

So there we have it the UCI toothless what possible sanction can they take against all the Pro Teams for riding Paris-Nice.

McQuaid's idea of the Teams telling ASO and Co to put their races on the UCI calendar or they will not take part is quite simply misguided and surely does not fall within their role of regulator.

OP
OP
Keith Oates

Keith Oates

Janner
Money talks and the teams have decided that they will stay in their little cosy arrangement and touch the forelock to Rudehomme and his gang. Short term gain but maybe, just maybe, long term loss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mac66

Never a better proof of the maxim, never mix sport and politics.

I just wish these two bodies would stop engaing in a pi$$ing contest. Next it will be fisticuffs and my dad's bigger that your dad. Pathetic.

Have to say, that on a completely irrational basis, without having thought things through I vote ASO and the other big tour organisers every time.

mondobongo

Über Member
Have been pretty much in favour of Aso since the politics kicked off, but now that my brain has engaged we could be moving onto thin ice here.
Whilst races are run under the auspices of the UCI, weak though they may be there is a consistency of rules governing the races that its UCI rules. If we move away from this then we could have ASO running races one way RCS running th e Giro totally different.

What if there is a problem we could see harsh draconian punishments handed out on the basis of the organisers wanting to protect their events.
I am coming to look at it that reolving this may not be as easy as it possibly looks.

Have you seen http://www.deraileduk.com/ ?

The UCI, having proven themselves incapable of running the sport in Europe, are adamant about pushing cycling to emerging markets, where they can presumably mismanage the sport on an international scale.

The cycling teams were left with a difficult decision to make. Who did they hate the least: The event organisers who wanted the power to pick and choose who could ride their races, and who had already demonstrated that they could destroy a team the previous year during the Unibet saga; or the UCI, who had no races to offer, no specific plan for the future, and who had spent the previous three years alternating between outright persecution of its riders and incompetence in managing their interests? They chose the ASO.

will

All these world bodies are just full of arrogant corrupt fat old men.

Don't forget the UK won their Olympic bid through last minute shenanigans with tiny nations.

Currently , the FA is scared to offend FIFA and will play a friendly in Trinidad solely because the FIFA (super-corrupt) vice-president is from Trinidad (corruption).

ETC;

Every world sporting body is pretty much a bunch of overpaid, corrupt fools (OK ranting) - but I live near Lausanne where the ex Olympic head - Samaranch - demanded to be called his greatness (or something like that).

ASO and UCI seem no different.

Dave5N

Über Member
Difference is AsO are organisers and are in touch with the day to day realities of race organisation, not just regulation.

It started with a spat over TV revenues. ASO will win because the French, italiens, Spanish care a lot more for their races (are a more receptive audience) than the Californians.

Top Bottom