UK camping advice for those on a budget.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

I'm unsure of your meaning with this. Have you taken offense to some posts or am I completely misreading your tone? If any offence has been taken I assure you none was meant. :sad:
No offence.

doog

I will not even countenance paying for a place to lie down and sleep on my own planet in my own country.

I tend to go where there is a hot shower and am happy to pay for it. The advantage of wild camping in the UK is that apart from land owners, members of the public tend to avoid approaching tents at all costs, its a British thing. They will however ring the police after about 24 hours concerned that the great unwashed have rocked up on their doorstep if you havent moved on.

Sara_H

Guru
I think its a shame there's not more information available for wannabe wild campers.
To me it's akin to the right to roam movement.

gilespargiter

Veteran
You'll happily pay in England though?:thumbsup:
Continuing with tongue firmly in cheek; hope you are not presuming to know where my mother was, as I was born? Nothing to do with me either, I didn't choose my parents, I'm just part of the wildlife. . . and I don't need a rag on a stick to tell me who I'am. . .

I have been known to pay for a hot shower when the weather is cold. Particularly in Europe where their is a less profiteering attitude to this, but also where wild camping is even easier.

As previous posts have said, people make quite an issue out of wild camping. I don't think there is much advice to give that common sense doesn't already provide a guide for. You just have to pluck up courage and go for it. After all no-one is going to tell you the particular spots they choose.

OP
OP
d87francis

d87francis

Well we're just back from 3 weeks touring and did a mixture of wild camping and campsites. We found most campsites classed us as hikers and charged £6 each so £12 for the night, but found the only campsites close to Bath and Glastonbury charged £10 each for the night. Thankfully we had plenty of free camping spots too, some of which were beautiful such as our own private woodland just past Hungerford or the beach in the picture which was right next to a site just off the beach that wanted £9 each for the night or we could have the beach for free! Well with tide times and distances checked I knew which option I was choosing.

Towards the end we decided just to pay for a campsite once every 3 days as all you really pay for is a shower, and loose all the peace and tranquility at the same time. Most sites stressed how they were quiet sites yet people still had radios and music playing in the evenings. We did find a couple of good'ens though, one past Devizes on the edge of Salisbury Plain where we laid out and watched the Perseids meteor shower and another halfway up Lynmouth Hill with a river running through it.
beach.jpg

OP
OP
d87francis

d87francis

Wild camping - the clue is in the name.

Just make sure you don't in the murk of dusk, choose a field with a bull in it .................:hyper:.
Ha ha, we did pick a beautiful spot on top of the Quantocks to be woken at 6.15am by dozens of hounds and horses running past the tent on a fox hunt.

Top Bottom