UK Dentists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
My last dental appointment was at 2.30. True story.

I've had two NHS dentists since I moved to London four years ago, one in Fulham and one in Battersea, but I get most of my work done in Scotland at my mum's practice. Check-up is free and a scale and polish is a tenner, compared to £17 and £40+ down here.

Oldspice

I'm not sure I would like dental students practicing on my teeth:eek:

It was better service than an actual paid dentist. Pain free, polite and a very positive experience.

Night Train

Maker of Things
[QUOTE 2142437, member: 1314"]:ohmy:[/quote]
I generally don't have anesthetic either. Meditating while the drilling is done is quite effective for most dental work and much nicer then the side effects of the anesthetic.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
and much nicer then the side effects of the anesthetic.

What side effects, really? Having a numb mouth for an hour or two is no great deal, so it never ceases to amaze me that when my Sister has it done, afterwards she acts as though she's about to die* or something :rolleyes:

[QUOTE 2142580, member: 1314"]:ohmy:[/quote]

Having a big numb mouth for a couple of hours, I look a bit like that too! :laugh:

Seriously though, I have absolutely no problems with going to the dentist, I have had the same one since I was quite young, and I have also had quite a bit of problems with my teeth in the past, so I've been used to having an injection and having my teeth drilled since I was a kid.

To me, I'd rather just get it all over and done with ASAP.

* - Chance would be a fine thing.

My dentist drove a filling so deep it constantly pressed on the nerve, and left me in constant pain for at least a week per month.
Even when he looked at the x-rays a year later he wouldn't acknowledge he'd done anything wrong, he just did the fix for free. And guess what? Anything hard hits that tooth I'm in pain for 2 days afterwards.
I have no trust in dentists at all. Before this travesty I did not visit one for 30 years, had decent teeth and no problems. Since I went to this quack I've had nothing but trouble.

Oldspice

My dentist drove a filling so deep it constantly pressed on the nerve, and left me in constant pain for at least a week per month.
Even when he looked at the x-rays a year later he wouldn't acknowledge he'd done anything wrong, he just did the fix for free. And guess what? Anything hard hits that tooth I'm in pain for 2 days afterwards.
I have no trust in dentists at all. Before this travesty I did not visit one for 30 years, had decent teeth and no problems. Since I went to this quack I've had nothing but trouble.

Why didn't you make a formal complaint and go to another dentist.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
About 5 years ago I bought company dental insurance and got 18 years of neglect fixed courtesy of BUPA. Since then I've been to the hygienist and for a check-up regularly. Each time I've needed work I've been x-rayed and shown the pictures as evidence. I'm a satisfied customer.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
[QUOTE 2142437, member: 1314"]:ohmy:[/quote]
Read it out loud. (But Night Train is very scary).

MarkF

Guru
I too have dental insurance and luckily at 50, good teeth. I think I may have had 2 or 3 fillings in the past decade. That's an expensive 2 or 3 fillings at about £2.5/3k! It's scam as surely as other insurance. The practice has just been taken over by 2 younger dentists, the previous 2 retired, the whole place was refurbed and all the clients were invited for a glass of wine on the new opening day. A week later everybody got increased premiums.............

Top Bottom