UK fixed base touring.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Following on from my thread - Using Premier Inn as a base. We have decided to go for this as a means to go touring. Does anyone have any advice on where to get information about the area we are visiting? I have access to most O/S Landranger maps. At the moment we intend to visit Beverley. Skipton and Anglesey.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
For two of those, aren't Welcome To Yorkshire rather keen on cycling?

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Skipton is surrounded by hills. Whilst there are valley roads, they're connecting to other towns and are very busy.

You could do the sections of the leeds-liverpool canal and it's got nice pubs and eateries off it.

Skipton is surrounded by hills. Whilst there are valley roads, they're connecting to other towns and are very busy.

Very true - there are bits of the A59 I wouldn't want to cycle on - in fact not too keen on bits of it in a car - would prefer to be in a bus or truck.

Personally (tho biased) I'd base myself in the Ribble Valley, nicer choice of varied routes, but no Premier Inn tucked away that I am aware of.

HelenD123

Guru
For Beverley, the Sustrans route would make a good starting point but TBH you're spoilt for choice with quiet roads going in all directions. My favourites were route 1 then 66 towards Market Weighton and the High Hunsley circuit to the west. I also like riding the Trans Pennine Trail along the Humber.

OP
OP
Saracenlad

Saracenlad

Thanks very much for the help and guidance. It looks like Beverley for our first effort. We have been looking closely at O/S maps 120 & 121 and using Retford as a start point there are some lovely rides out from there. We can easily fit both bikes into our little Berlingo Van so park up in Retford and head East. Great. Surprising what you can find when you open your eyes and look!!!

Best way of finding quiet rides from a centre is I think

https://cycle.travel/

You can tell it your starting point and destination and then ask it to give you a circular route.

There is a chance that small bits of the route may repeat/run over each other.

If using a GPS and downloading the route I would have the out and back bits as separate routes/tracks to avoid possible confusion of human or electronics.

Top Bottom