[UK Racing] Junior Road Race Scrapped - Residents Ignore Road Closures, Abuse Riders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Will1985

Über Member
It isn't the first time. I've seen this at running events as well. I think the biggest problem is the weak police presence. Of course they can't be everywhere, but angry motorists will only seem to obey them and not the jacketed marshalls.

simon_brooke

John the Monkey said:

I've worked on the crew of the Girvan race for the past three years, and the amount of abuse marshals sometimes get from the public is a bit frightening. However, with support from the police the situation does seem to be improving - this year we had much more police support, and consequently less dangerous behaviour.

Ironically the Dartmoor Classic sportif was run out of Kingsteignton last weekend. Admittedly it was on a Sunday and with marshalls rather than closed roads but there was no aggro that I was aware of despite there being around 2000 participants spread over quite a long time period.

Crackle said:
What is the matter with people, where does all this anger come from.
Don't forget, this a a report from a local rag. 'This anger' might well be no more than a disgruntled local going 'oh I say' under their breath before writing a stiff letter to the editor....

Jonathan M

The local councilloris also qouted as "alledged" with her complaints, generally as soon as councillors want to cause problems they will alledgedly always prefix falsehoods with the word "alledged" so that when they are proven wrong, they can hide behind the defence of alledged.

What would these local residents think of car drivers hurling abuse at theirkids on the way home from work, jumping ligths on ped crossings, and just genrally endangering their beloved offspring? Becuase according to the report that is what these locals have done.

Bigtwin

To be fair, 6-8 pm on a work day stopping people getting home probably isn't the best time to hold it to keep everyone happy.

Joe

Über Member
"The longest distance anyone would be left from their house was 100metres"

100 metres? Better drive on the pavement!:biggrin:

peanut

Crackle said:
What is the matter with people, where does all this anger come from.

its been coming for decades :biggrin: this is the sort of selfish mentality that is crippling Britain now. No-one will slow or stop to let anyone past or out of a side turning.

Try getting across an unmanned zebra crossing these days if you are not prepared to walk out into oncoming cars forcing them to stop you'll be there all day.

This is a sporting event for kids forcrissakes . People are so selfish and inconsiderate. If you are brought up with that example from your parents then that is what you will regard as normal behaviour I suppose.:biggrin:

Will1985

Über Member
Joe said:
"The longest distance anyone would be left from their house was 100metres"

100 metres? Better drive on the pavement!:biggrin:
They can't, because they are all too fat and have 4x4s which compensate for other things in their lives.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Our Kids Scout hall is on a narrow road,we were loading camping gear into a transit early one saturday when some old fart returns from driving about 400 yards to get his morning paper.He is going blue in the face quoting all the laws we are breaking by holding him up for 5 minutes. I asked him if he preferred the kids to hang around street corners drinking and smoking. Some people just seem to prefer aggro to common sense.

peanut

Banjo said:
Our Kids Scout hall is on a narrow road,we were loading camping gear into a transit early one saturday when some old fart returns from driving about 400 yards to get his morning paper.He is going blue in the face quoting all the laws we are breaking by holding him up for 5 minutes. I asked him if he preferred the kids to hang around street corners drinking and smoking. Some people just seem to prefer aggro to common sense.

we all seem to lack consideration and patience at times . I suspect that the loading/unloading probably took nearer 20+ minutes in reality which is quite a long time to sit in your car waiting to pass .

I stood in a Pharmacy the other day waiting for my box of Thyroxin from the pharmacist. When I saw people being served that had come in 10-15 minutes after me I enquired where my prescription was .

Turns out the stupid little man had gone off for a 15 minute tea break without telling anyone, just after I had handed in my prescription note :tongue:. I wanted to give him a piece of my mind about his inconsideration but as he was Asian I would probably have been accused of rascism

Top Bottom