UK Sport's Attitude to Anti-doping Bans

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tetedelacourse

As a fan of professional cycling, this sickens me:

Farce

Particularly:

UK Sport's chief cxecutive John Steele welcomed the decision... He said "we should impose such an Olympic ban only in the case of a 'serious' offence - namely one that carries at least a two-year period of ineligibility under the Code."

:sad::angry:;):angry::biggrin::angry::sad::angry::wacko::angry::biggrin:

romeo

I'd love to know how many OOC tests Paula Radcliffe has had organised by UK authorites. seriously.

monnet

Guru
Agreed. Absolutely ridiculous. But then again, that is a British Olympic track medal potential, which obviously requires anentirely different set of regulations that most athletes have to adhere to.

ash68

can see your points, and agree if she wasn't a medal prospect she may have been treated differently.However she has served a ban for missing 3 drugs tests and has never been tested positive. She is going to the olympics, something David Millar cannot do, possibly his honesty has cost him dearly. Tim Don, the triathlete has also missed tests and been banned, but he too can still go to the olympics. Double standards prevail yet again.Are missed drugs tests being classed as not as serious as positive tests? In which case, all the athletes need to do is avoid the drug testers.

steve austin- yes tim don had a successfull appeal against his ban.

OP
OP
Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse

I remember flicking onto the World Athletics championships just after she'd won her title earlier this year, and listening in disbelief as Sue Barker and Colin Jackson agreed that "surely now her ban will be overturned".

I seem to recall that Michael Johnson was noticeably quiet.

Tetedelacourse said:
I remember flicking onto the World Athletics championships just after she'd won her title earlier this year, and listening in disbelief as Sue Barker and Colin Jackson agreed that "surely now her ban will be overturned".

I seem to recall that Michael Johnson was noticeably quiet.

Indeed. The clear implication was that because she'd won the Worlds, the ban should be overturned, a ban shouldn't apply to a successful athlete.
After all, everyone knows Christine's not a doper, so the rules shouldn't be applied to her.

But Sue Barker is an atrocious waste of space (worst on there, now they've got rid of Sally Gunnell) and Colin Jackson is so gushing about any British athlete.

I don't like Michael Johnson, think he's an arrogant SOB (exactly which attitude made him a world-beater : think Armstrong, Schumacher, etc), but in his television role he's the only pundit on there worth listening to, coming-out with views like that no British men's 100m runner would be selected for the US team because there were probably 30 or 40 US college althletes better than them who wouldn't get selected either, that the British guys should not be expected to win anything because they're not the best in the world.

OK, now you'll be even more overjoyed, because the BBC are touting Ohuruogu as one of the Top Ten favourites for Sports Personality of the Year
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tv_and_radio/sports_personality_of_the_year/7118663.stm

Mind you, wouldn't say exactly many of that 10 is a 'personality'...

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
isn't there a certain danish cyclist whose career has been effectively ended by him missing some out of competition tests?

of course lying about his whereabouts had something to do with it

OP
OP
Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse

Keith Oates said:
And according to yesterdays Cyclingnews he still feels he was treated unfairly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

define "treated";):biggrin:

The guy has zero credibility any more. He could easily have just put his hands up at the time and it would have been long forgotten by now.

As for BBC Sports Personality of the Year, the Chicken should stick his name in the hat for that!

Even more galling is the male sprinter (name escapes me for the moment) who has missed two tests and seems to view the whole process as akin to being nagged to tidy his room by his mum (no doubt getting his retaliation in first for when he 'forgets' the third test).

Top Bottom