Uk towns that have been a (surprise) let down to you

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
Try Shipley next to saltaire it's a dump!
Every decent shop has legged it! Argos, Wilko, etc, just charity shops and dodgy pubs playing karaoke from 2pm weekdays!!

But the worst bit is between the M606 & Saltaire, it’s a shame they couldn’t pick it up and dump it in Lancashire :okay:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Trowbridge was a surprise when I took my bike there on the train. The roads are narrower and more winding than those you see when going through on the A361 by car, and it feels less "new town". It's still horrible.

Which brings me onto the local joke: why is Bath called Bath? Because it's right next to a toilet called Trowbridge.

Mike_P

Guru
Try Shipley next to saltaire it's a dump!
Every decent shop has legged it! Argos, Wilko, etc, just charity shops and dodgy pubs playing karaoke from 2pm weekdays!!
Wilko still list the store on their web site. Just list it as closed every day. Argos wil have closed regardless as Sainsbury's are shutting individual stores and sticking them in their own.

Alex321

Veteran
Wilko still list the store on their web site. Just list it as closed every day. Argos wil have closed regardless as Sainsbury's are shutting individual stores and sticking them in their own.

They aren't (yet) closing many Argos stores in the UK. All their stores in Republic of Ireland have closed, but only 7 are listed for closure on the mainland, 1 in Scotland, 4 in England, 2 in Wales. All bar the Welsh ones have already closed, and the two Welsh ones go this month.

But that still leaves around 800 stand alone Argos stores currently - which is expected to fall to something like 160 by the end of 2024. I can[t find any list of which stores will be closing after this month, or of which are expected to be the 160 kept open.

I still have three within a 20 minute cycle, though I imagine at least one of those will be going when the new Sainburys superstore opens in Pontyclun next spring, as it is less than a mile from the Talbot Green one.

Jameshow

Veteran
They aren't (yet) closing many Argos stores in the UK. All their stores in Republic of Ireland have closed, but only 7 are listed for closure on the mainland, 1 in Scotland, 4 in England, 2 in Wales. All bar the Welsh ones have already closed, and the two Welsh ones go this month.

But that still leaves around 800 stand alone Argos stores currently - which is expected to fall to something like 160 by the end of 2024. I can[t find any list of which stores will be closing after this month, or of which are expected to be the 160 kept open.

I still have three within a 20 minute cycle, though I imagine at least one of those will be going when the new Sainburys superstore opens in Pontyclun next spring, as it is less than a mile from the Talbot Green one.

So called retail experts driving it to the wall.... I expect Waitrose will be next, listening to CEO Sharon this morning didn't fill me with much hope.

Top Bottom