Uk towns that have been a (surprise) let down to you

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ramsey in the Isle of Man

Visited recently and the guide books had done a good job of bigging up the town, unfortunately there seemed to be very little there at all for tourists. We asked in the local tourist info centre (actually the old courthouse) about what was on the northern promenade - where the Queen's Pier is - and expected a couple shops, pubs, cafes etc but were told 'nothing'. Theres probably a bit more to do for families with kids as there is a park and a swimming pool but if you want to wander around some nice pubs and cafes theres not much there.

Nothing wrong with it as such but had expected to spend a few hours there exploring but instead were only there a short while.

My wife has a thing about bridges, and running over them, so a decade ago we made a weekend visit to Hull. I’d heard rumours of it being a deprived area but was amazed when I saw the reality. Pubs in the high street having “happy hour“ (£1 a pint) on a Saturday night said it all for me.

Last edited:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
My wife has a thing about bridges, and running over them, so a decade ago we made a weekend visit to Hull. I’d heard rumours of it being a deprived area but was amazed when I saw the reality. Pubs in the high street having “happy hour“ (£1 a pin) on a Saturday night said it all for me.

'It's never dull in Hull'

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)

Visited recently and the guide books had done a good job of bigging up the town, unfortunately there seemed to be very little there at all for tourists. We asked in the local tourist info centre (actually the old courthouse) about what was on the northern promenade - where the Queen's Pier is - and expected a couple shops, pubs, cafes etc but were told 'nothing'. Theres probably a bit more to do for families with kids as there is a park and a swimming pool but if you want to wander around some nice pubs and cafes theres not much there.

Nothing wrong with it as such but had expected to spend a few hours there exploring but instead were only there a short while.

I get what you mean. There is a lovely beach and park, but not much else. Fortunately there are many other parts of the island which are all very close by.

Profpointy

Legendary Member

We enjoyed our few hours there, albeit we mostly watched the racing motorbikes whizz past !

Mike_P

Guru
Possibly summed up by TripAdvisors list of places to visit, at 6 Balladoole Civic Amenity Site :eek:
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g190930-Activities-Ramsey_Isle_of_Man.html

Jameshow

Veteran
Leeds - particularly Headingley where the students are. My labrador loved going there as every street had a discarded pizza and every second bush a kebab. It was difficult getting her to leave.

Try Bradford then!

Every other bush there's a rat!!

Reactions: DRM

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
My wife has a thing about bridges, and running over them, so a decade ago we made a weekend visit to Hull. I’d heard rumours of it being a deprived area but was amazed when I saw the reality. Pubs in the high street having “happy hour“ (£1 a pint) on a Saturday night said it all for me.

I was in Hull last week. Not my choice - one colleague grew up there and our boss loves the place because he's a bit of a Philip Larkin fan, so that was where we went for our management team off-site.

It wasn't quite as nasty as I'd anticipated. The old town is lovely, but dead as a dodo - streets full of pubs serving nobody at 7:30 on a Wednesday. What they've done to the dockfront is decent but bland. But there's a whole swathe of really rundown streets just outside the centre.

Top Bottom