Uk towns that have been a (surprise) let down to you

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Cockermouth

The castle is a private residence and can't be viewed, the brewery tour was cancelled and no pubs I visited had hand pulled ale.

I did find a nice bookshop but the of the town was disappointing.

multitool

In the UK it's far easier to compile a list of towns which are worth visiting. Most of them aren't. Identikit shitholes with identikit shopping streets. Pretty much anywhere between the Thames and the Humber. Even the jewels of the UK, like Bath, aren't all that when you compare them to Western Europe. (OK...forget Belgium).

British Town planning and 20-21st C architecture has to be amongst the worst in developed world.

Sorry if I sound grumpy. Got wind.

Bangor, about 1980. It must've been the half day closing day because everywhere was shut, even the public loos. After that, the song 'Day Trip to Bangor' (didn't we have a lovely time...) was always met with a strong sense of irony.
We went, in the late 80s, it was closed that day too!
Morecambe
Once an extremely busy resort, known as 'Bradford by the Sea', as the population of Bradford descended on the town for the Yorkshire equivalant of 'wakes weeks'

Yes Bradford, the gift that keeps on giving, they burn cars out just to cheer the place up, Holmewood Estate makes the Donbas region look safe

Workington, once described as like Featherstone with docks,
Hartlepool, at least greedy London landlords lost an absolute shed load of money buying cheap houses to rent out,never dawned on them they were cheap for a reason.
Middlesbrough is bad, Seal Sands is utterly horrible
I remember, many years ago, going to see a friend (an Indian lad, that I worked with) at his parents shop, on one of the estates off Thornton Road, the estate was brutal (looking at mapping, it was possibly the Lower Grange?)
The shop had wire cages around the counter, & any alcohol was sold from behind the cage too
The doors were steel-shrouded, the back-yard wall was razor-wired, with a criss-cross, of bars over the top to help deter the persistant ferals
The family had been there years, from memory, & sadly were resigned to living like that

Featherstone; I pass through it semi-regularly now, but used to pass through a lot (& Purston), when daughter was at school in Ackworth
Like many towns/villages, it suffered very badly, when the coal industry was decimated

Hartlepool; and full of Monkey hangers, one of our receptionists (now gone to IT) was from there, she was surprised that a couple of us knew the origination of the name

Morecambe, apart from the statue to Eric, a rundown seaside dump with little to recommend it other than the roads out.
Again, it was a very busy resort, until the upstart neighbour to the south, got its act together
Till the late 60s/early 70s, it was probably the busiest resort in the north

I'll admit, that as a kid, I went there a lot, so still have an affection for it
I've watched the Midland Hotel with a mixture of emotions from seeing it barely functional, as a self-catering, a derelict shell
Now, it's an absolute marvel, we've had 'afternoon tea' in there, but sadly not stopped there
It was hoped that it would help to regenerate the town, likewise, the restoration of the 'Winter Gardens'

I do hope that the Eden-North (or whatever name is finally used) happens
It's going to be on the site of the Super Swimming Stadium, or thereabouts, which I remember in its final years
(also the Dolphinarium)
https://c20society.org.uk/lost-modern/super-swimming-stadium-morecambe

multitool

Do you have a problem?

Adam4868

Guru
Love Morcambe and visit regularly.Im glad it's had a couple of busy/good seasons since covid restrictions have been lifted.Bruccianis Art Deco coffee and ice cream cafe has to be one of my favourite places to visit and pig out whilst I'm there.Midland Hotel looks stunning and I really hope they can get the Eden North up and running.
To be honest no town I visit really lets me down.Well maybe there's a few I'm in no rush to revisit,but that's for personal reasons 😁

Brains

Legendary Member
Never been but what are German cities like after the RAF re-modelling?

In the UK after the Luftwaffe urban replanning blitz the local authorities built fast and cheap and not in style.
Hence every town has a cheap 60's glass and concrete buildings in the middle of classical architecture.
It looks a mess.

Germany following the RAF urban replanning firestorm the national authorities built properly in keeping with the area and in many cases built back exactly as it was before.
Hence many of the German cities you really can't even see the join between original and new version.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Never been but what are German cities like after the RAF re-modelling?

Depends very much on how hard they were hit and how they were restored. I'm in various German cities and towns in various parts of the year. 1960s era buildings are common, but looked after and treasured in a way that they haven't been in the UK.

Duesseldorf is alright, it does have a small preserved old town and the more modern rebuilt parts are more 1960s in style and architecture but not in a "Stevenage" way where it's unloved and depressing. It's functional and handsome enough.
Munich has been restored beautifully and sympathetically (at great cost and over many decades), looks unscarred and historic, a really gorgeous place. Possibly the standout German architectural city, which is remarkable given the Nazi HQ history there and the bombing it received as a result.
Frankfurt is very modern in central parts, a bit run down in other parts, can a bit ugly and unloved, but with pockets of preserved buildings including some 1930s and WW2 era, it's not unlike say, Manchester in many ways.
Stuttgart is quite 1970s in terms of architecture but again it's well kept, clean, and it has a few older buildings.
Kaiserslautern as above, largely a 60s and 70s look but carries it well, and not much in terms of historic places.
Berlin is well known. Great historical buildings (including my favourite, the Victory monument), a lot of 1960s architecture which was further gentrified in the last decade or two.

I think it's fair to say that while German and British industrial cities underwent some similar rebuilding post-war, Germany carries it better and looks after it. Their 60s buildings are looking quite cool in a way, ours tend to be unloved, abandoned, and eventually crumble or get replaced.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
In the UK after the Luftwaffe urban replanning blitz the local authorities built fast and cheap and not in style.
Hence every town has a cheap 60's glass and concrete buildings in the middle of classical architecture.
It looks a mess.

Germany following the RAF urban replanning firestorm the national authorities built properly in keeping with the area and in many cases built back exactly as it was before.
Hence many of the German cities you really can't even see the join between original and new version.

Makes it cohesive but not necessarily progressive though - after all in most cultures the old has coexisted with the new quite happily, as new generations have put their own stamp on the existing (and just for the avoidance of doubt, I am not seeking to defend either old or new, just 'good', howsoever defined).
Take a walk down for instance The Hill in Burford and look at the number of building that have been 'modernised' across many ages coexisting with truly ancient ones. If you actually stand back it's a right old jumble, but it coexists quite happily and millions of people come along and buy unnecessary plastic objects* every year.

Even in Germany there's significant debate:

https://www.apollo-magazine.com/why-are-berlins-new-buildings-so-intent-on-looking-backwards/

*Thanks Nanci

Top Bottom