Uk towns that have been a (surprise) let down to you

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
For me the issue with a lot of places which are routinely visited is that they're trading off past glories of having one or two 'unique' things about them.

This is fine, but means that to their detriment they haven't really diversified enough.

Mercifully there's f*ck all in North Shields, so nobody bothers coming here and it's generally quite a decent little town. Though the high street and shopping centre are a bit grim.

I rode though there and it's nice enough.

Didn't see the centre tbh.

The dual carriageways that Criss cross place are a pain though.

AndyRM

XOXO
I rode though there and it's nice enough.

Didn't see the centre tbh.

The dual carriageways that Criss cross place are a pain though.

I like it here. But yeah, a bit boxed in by the A19 and Coast Road.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Wow no mention of Bradford!
Or the lovely towns of m65 nelson, Blackburn burnley etc!🤣🤣🤣

I did say etc to cover just about every other town/city I have visited in UK.

Actually, I haven't been to Bradford, I take it, from your comment that I haven't missed much?

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
For me the issue with a lot of places which are routinely visited is that they're trading off past glories of having one or two 'unique' things about them.

This is fine, but means that to their detriment they haven't really diversified enough.

Mercifully there's f*ck all in North Shields, so nobody bothers coming here and it's generally quite a decent little town. Though the high street and shopping centre are a bit grim.

Would agree. Still a few decent pubs there, quite how it can be so much better than South Shields, when they are probably no more than 1 mile apart, as the crow flies, is a mystery to me ;)

AndyRM

XOXO
Would agree. Still a few decent pubs there, quite how it can be so much better than South Shields, when they are probably no more than 1 mile apart, as the crow flies, is a mystery to me ;)

True. Although getting off the Metro and being faced by Charlie's is a bit much...

True about South Shields too, which I find odd because they started their renovations much sooner. I guess they focussed too much on the sea front? Did the same at Roker.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
True. Although getting off the Metro and being faced by Charlie's is a bit much...

True about South Shields too, which I find odd because they started their renovations much sooner. I guess they focussed too much on the sea front? Did the same at Roker.

IMHO, the renovations are a major part of the problem, many very attractive buildings destroyed, and, replaced with hideous concrete stuff.

AndyRM

XOXO
IMHO, the renovations are a major part of the problem, many very attractive buildings destroyed, and, replaced with hideous concrete stuff.

That's true. I was a bit worried when they started redoing the town square here, because it looked like an awful lot of concrete and not much vegetation, but they've made a really good job of it, looks very smart, and they've tidied up the surrounding buildings rather than flattening them.

PK99

Legendary Member
Dufftown - Duff by name, duff by nature.

Self-proclaimed Capital of the Highland Whisky industry - but the dullest most godforsaken hole imaginable.

I'd like to see a boat trip around the lighthouse, it's about half a mile inland!
Might be controversial to some, but I'd put a vote in for Kendal. Love the Lake District, especially Keswick, but I thought Kendal was a bit grotty.
Exactly!! (re; lighthouse!!)
Kendal, it's quieter than it used to be, since the M6 took the vast percentage of the A6/Shap traffic

Jameshow

Veteran
I did say etc to cover just about every other town/city I have visited in UK.

Actually, I haven't been to Bradford, I take it, from your comment that I haven't missed much?

The midland hotel, the one decent building, is up for sale for a budget £3m. Says something when the landmark building is for sale for £3m!!

Dave7

Legendary Member
On the reverse side is a shout for New Brighton.
As a lad in the 50s it was already in decline.
Some years they pumped serious money into it and it really is nice now PLUS you can happily cycle 60 traffic free miles.

DRM

Guru
The midland hotel, the one decent building, is up for sale for a budget £3m. Says something when the landmark building is for sale for £3m!!

If it runs true to form it’ll be bought, planning permission will be sought for some “business scheme” or other, won’t be granted and then oops it’s bonfire night

Top Bottom