Uk towns that have been a (surprise) let down to you

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I lived in Whitehaven 1979-82.

God-forsaken hell hole it was!

was there in 2019, it still is ;)

Oddly, I was wandering around Rightmove yesterday and had a look there. IIRC absolute top of the market was 550k for something that would have been 7-figures most other places.
I looked at Withernsea, after our visit, & found a 6-bedroom end terrace (presumably a fairly big one?)
Granted it was divided into a 2-bed, & 4-bed flat, but could be made into one again

£115,000........................

One of my cycle rides took me as far as Wincanton, I have to say I couldn't find anywhere to get a snack before heading for home though I was surprized to find a Nat 'west bank still there with an ATM, this was a little while ago so exxpect even thats gone now?

Love Morcambe and visit regularly.Im glad it's had a couple of busy/good seasons since covid restrictions have been lifted.Bruccianis Art Deco coffee and ice cream cafe has to be one of my favourite places to visit and pig out whilst I'm there.Midland Hotel looks stunning and I really hope they can get the Eden North up and running.
I like Bruccianis too!

If they can get ‘The Winter Gardens’ finished too, that’ll be a boost

I think l wrote further up, that l’d watched the Midland Hotel in various stages to risk of demolition
We first went in it, post renovation in 2009, when l ran the ’Cross Bay Challenge’, a half-marathon over the Bay!!
(that year it was run from Flookburgh -Hest Bank)

84FE8FC5-9ACF-4849-A735-508F3D2F7CCD.jpeg
I bought this pair of books on that visit

l’ve the ‘Lost Resort’ book quite a few years

Adam4868

Guru
I like Bruccianis too!

If they can get ‘The Winter Gardens’ finished too, that’ll be a boost

I think l wrote further up, that l’d watched the Midland Hotel in various stages to risk of demolition
We first went in it, post renovation in 2009, when l ran the ’Cross Bay Challenge’, a half-marathon over the Bay!!
(that year it was run from Flookburgh -Hest Bank)

View attachment 674792 I bought this pair of books on that visit

l’ve the ‘Lost Resort’ book quite a few years
Just watched the local news and looks like the Eden Project has been given the funding and go ahead 😍

colly

Re member eR
Clithero.

I really had no expectations of the town but when I first went there I found it really pleasant, in that it 'felt' right. As a kid I had heard of Clithero from The Clithero Kid. Maybe I expected an old run down mill town.
I just found it sat well with me.

Mind you having been there only twice there is plenty of time for reappraisal.

stephec

Legendary Member
Clithero.

I really had no expectations of the town but when I first went there I found it really pleasant, in that it 'felt' right. As a kid I had heard of Clithero from The Clithero Kid. Maybe I expected an old run down mill town.
I just found it sat well with me.

Mind you having been there only twice there is plenty of time for reappraisal.

It's a nice place, I've only ever been there in the day though so don't know what it's like at night.

And as an added bonus you might even bump into @Accy cyclist 😊

I wouldn't pay £115 to live in With!!!

A couple of years ago, I was talking to a guy that lived in Carlisle, so had plenty of options on his doorstep, but he and his family chose to travel to With at every opportunity they could because they loved it so much. I thought he was joking, but the longer conversation showed they were very serious about it.

Top Bottom