Uk towns that have been a (surprise) let down to you

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
On Saturday I went to Ladbroke Grove to see where the UK punk scene had started. The squats and bedsits have been converted back into large multi-million pound houses and the Elgin, where the Clash used to hang out, is now an up-market gastro-pub.

PK99

Legendary Member
On Saturday I went to Ladbroke Grove to see where the UK punk scene had started. The squats and bedsits have been converted back into large multi-million pound houses and the Elgin, where the Clash used to hang out, is now an up-market gastro-pub.

...a Clash of cultures?

Drago

Legendary Member
Sheerness.

A friend of mine lives just across the water on the Isle of Grain, and its a fantastic place- a heady mix of the sea, village life, marshland countryside and industrial inland landscape

But across the water barely a mile away Sheerness is an utter sheet hole.

dicko

Guru
We stopped off in Chester on our way to our Llandudno holiday and we were very surprised with what we saw. We took the City Bus tour then the river Dee boat tour sampled the shopping centre and many pubs and restaurants. We walked the old city wall made a few friends and generally had a great time. Lovely clean safe city.

Tiggy

We stopped off in Chester on our way to our Llandudno holiday and we were very surprised with what we saw. We took the City Bus tour then the river Dee boat tour sampled the shopping centre and many pubs and restaurants. We walked the old city wall made a few friends and generally had a great time. Lovely clean safe city.

I agree. I went 2 days ago. Amazing old buildings. The bit in the centre where the second story of the shops were "pushed in" to make another path with extra shops was fantastic.

Chester Zoo was also the best one I've ever been to.

Mike_P

Guru
Manchester however...

It has no 'centres'. No real parks or squares or focal points. It's just buildings. Horrible place.

https://www.visitmanchester.com/things-to-see-and-do/piccadilly-gardens-p28581

Making the best from not a lot. Presume once it did live up to its name?

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I just mean the City Centre depresses me, especially after witnessing the homeless population late at night once too many times, it's awful!

Last edited by a moderator:

Drago

Legendary Member
The Clutha was alright I enjoyed it.

A fellow DS was from the Gorbals and I'd gone up to spend Christmas with his folks - this was pre Mrs D - and Glasgow was a strange place.

Speaking with an English accent I'm used to being in Scotland and having twits take the pith, whereupon I drop into shetlandic and let them know I was a northern islander and that it's they who are the soft southerner, not me.

But my mate Gordon was as glaswegian as they come, and even with my ear tuned to the various Scottish accents sometimes struggled to understand him first time if he was speaking to quickly, so it was a bit of a shock to hear people making snidey comments to him for sounding too English. Didn't seem to faze him, he said you get used to it, but I wouldn't have put up with it.

So I would sum it up as an intriguing place, bit too full of arrissholes for my liking, the proverbial let down of the title.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jameshow

Veteran
Sheerness.

A friend of mine lives just across the water on the Isle of Grain, and its a fantastic place- a heady mix of the sea, village life, marshland countryside and industrial inland landscape

But across the water barely a mile away Sheerness is an utter sheet hole.

Try Shipley next to saltaire it's a dump!
Every decent shop has legged it! Argos, Wilko, etc, just charity shops and dodgy pubs playing karaoke from 2pm weekdays!!

Top Bottom