UK Towns that have been surprisingly pleasant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chislenko

Veteran
Stonehaven up on the way to Aberdeen.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Brecon was always nice. It's gradually developing in a good direction with good bars, pubs, shops and restaurants. The Brecon tap is great for real ales and it's dog friendly. The Ghurka restaurant is excellent and if you need a B&B then the Borderers is excellent, bike storage and superb breakfasts.

Not tried the Ghurka in Brecon. If it's half as good as the one in Abergafenni I'll be happy.
Thanks for the tip off

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Newark on Trent. Fairly well-kept town centre and market place which would be even better if they booted the last remaining non-resident cars out. Lots of history. At least one good cycleway in from the south and some OKish ones out north. I will visit again.

Grantham was better than expected but still scarred by big roads too near the centre, decades after the A1 bypass-that-wasn't-a-bypass opened.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Stone in Staffordshire. Stopped off there on the way further north one morning and found a great cafe (https://oandm.uk/) serving Staffordshire oatcakes and milkshakes. The high street is largely pedestrianised and has more life than many small towns.

I agree, I was there recently, never been before, and there was a great cafe on the pedestrianised bit. Being alongside a canal helps aswell.

Gunk

Guru
Cirencester is a lovely town, a popular destination for Mrs Gunk and I on a Saturday. Or a solo trip on my motorcycle.

7ACD48E6-955C-4684-94B4-A14FC5CF9946.jpeg

Stone in Staffordshire. Stopped off there on the way further north one morning and found a great cafe (https://oandm.uk/) serving Staffordshire oatcakes and milkshakes. The high street is largely pedestrianised and has more life than many small towns.

Not a county I know at all well ... but I was vv surprised by Stafford centre (visited during my B-I-L's Half-Ironman) ~2019ish. Also made good use of the water features (is it a canal?) 👍

I recently went into the centre of Howden to enjoy some lunch on an audax. I’ve mostly visited the 24hr garage at odd hours on Easter Arrows and thus never really seen the town as such, but didn’t get the feeling the place was anything special from those encounters . The centre was lovely with a square , bakery, cafes, pubs, nice areas to sit, park and church and ruins. I was pleasant,y surprised.
Like many people, we’d driven through the outskirts, but visited it a few weeks ago
It’s rather pleasant near the Minster

Newark on Trent. Fairly well-kept town centre and market place which would be even better if they booted the last remaining non-resident cars out. Lots of history. At least one good cycleway in from the south and some OKish ones out north. I will visit again
Newark-on-Trent is one of my favourite (non-Yorkshire) towns
As you state, it has lots of historical interest

’The Great North Road ran through it too

There’s even some Art-Deco buildings there!

My next known visit will be on Sunday 1st October, for; https://www.truckfest.co.uk/truckfest-original/

Top Bottom