UK Towns that have been surprisingly pleasant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was expecting a “country which pleasantly surprised me” first followed by this one for UK after the virtue signalling lot began their bashing.

Anyway, London has always surprised me in the way one part recovers while another part deteriorates. It continues to morph as the time goes by. Love the tube, the rail network and the canals. Also love its markets, the food and the people that come to it. Camden is a favourite despite the goth theme still lingering and Brixton comes second.

Excellent cycling touring city with an actual bike junction with its own dedicated traffic light albeit tiny.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Totnes in Devon.

Nice old buildings, the river Dart, a feeling of bucolic affluence and the hippy capital of Britain.

This wizard caught my eye. Clearly I caught his. As he’s a peace lover her didn’t cast a spell on me.

I like the hippy ethos, I admire the obvious difference in a bland world.

D660A948-351A-4462-BAAF-67825C01A191.jpeg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
London was a pleasant surprise.
I managed to cycle all the way from Euston station to Waterloo station without being mugged, robbed, assaulted, shot at, defrauded of my life savings, or flattened by an Uber. Not even verbally abused. I'm going to try Leeds next.

Funny that. I've lived in London all my life and never experienced any of those things either. 😉

I'm struggling to think of one that isn't ruined by motor vehicles.

I quite liked Shrewsbury....

We visited Shrewsbury in a heat wave a few years ago. Somehow we didn't actually see anything much more than Shrewsbury Abbey and a waffle place which was the highlight. Where is the best bit of Shrewsbury ? We were underwhelmed.

Attachments

• IMG_20190825_123714.jpg
    IMG_20190825_123714.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 1
Totnes in Devon.

Nice old buildings, the river Dart, a feeling of bucolic affluence and the hippy capital of Britain.

This wizard caught my eye. Clearly I caught his. As he’s a peace lover her didn’t cast a spell on me.

I like the hippy ethos, I admire the obvious difference in a bland world.

View attachment 662712

Totnes is lovely. Don't they have their own currency too ?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Prestatyn is very nice - loads of decent pubs, cafes, restaurants and local producers (butcher, baker, cheese merchants) as well as Tesco (boo). Just ignore Rhyl 3 miles down the road.

We were underwhelmed.

There is another thread for that (started before this one.)

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Random selection of places where I've spent a significant amount of time.
Ealing, North Berwick, Edinburgh, Brecon, Talgarth, Chester, Cardiff.
Lyme Regis, Sidmouth, Budleigh Salterton (but not Seaton or Exmouth), Honiton, Bridport.
Taunton, Bristol.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Durham (centre) is rather pleasant, if you stick to the riverside. Although, technically, it is a city, I suppose.

Visited Barnard Castle, recently, and, was pleasantly surprised.

Leyburn, as already mentioned above

Alton, Hampshire, although it is quite a while since I was there, it may have changed

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Brecon was always nice. It's gradually developing in a good direction with good bars, pubs, shops and restaurants. The Brecon tap is great for real ales and it's dog friendly. The Ghurka restaurant is excellent and if you need a B&B then the Borderers is excellent, bike storage and superb breakfasts.

Belper (a relative has recently moved there) - what I assumed was a tiny fading industrial town just North of Derby.

It's amazing! and a true Gateway To The Peak District (although i don't they've yet sunk to putting that on any signs ... ) You can just ride up the (usually quiet) A6 into some stunning countryside.

(I shan't comment on my rides thru Derby to get there. Apart from finding a surprisingly brill bike shop on the southern outskirts - open on a Sunday, and pumping up the tyres of local oiks for free)

Top Bottom