Ultegra/105 chain ring compatibility

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr. Cow

Über Member
I need to replace the front outer chainring on my ultegra 6800 due to worm drivetrain, however I am having great difficulty sourcing a replacement chainring without having to buy the whole crankset. It's a 50tooth ring. Would a shimano 105 fc5800 chain ring be compatible? As far as I can tell they are both 4 bolt and BCD 110mm...? Cheers..

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Yes.

Thanks all, yep I'm guessing it's worn it's done 6000miles and skips with a new chain and cassette !
Aha, it's probably not worn too much, the chain may skip a little bit until it beds in. No two chains are ever exactly the same, it will take a few miles to settle the new chain in. If you wanted to be absolutely thorough, you could change the rings the chain the cassette and the jockey / tensioner wheels. Personally, I find that's too much for me, I just put up with a bit of skipping until the chain settles. If you want to help the skipping, lube the new chain up, and before you replace the old chain, wiggle all the links on the new chain for a while, new chains with stiffer than ideal links are fairly normal, it's easy to unstiffen the links.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
it's probably not worn too much, the chain may skip a little bit until it beds in. No two chains are ever exactly the same, it will take a few miles to settle the new chain in.
"it's probably not worn too much" - I agree. 6000 miles is small beer for a chainring. Significant wear is rather unlikely. 15,000 maybe.
"the chain may skip a little bit until it beds in." What is this 'bedding in' thing? Is the chain 'stretching'? Is the cassette suddenly 'wearing'? If a new chain skates on a new cassette there's something amiss.
"No two chains are ever exactly the same" Chains for the same speed are the 'same' enough to mean that any actual difference is minute (in the context of chain skating).
The new chain has got factory lubrication on it which should do through to the first Mickle.
I'm guessing it's worn
Guess again.
Like you, rr, I think the OP needs to look elsewhere for the cause.

Last edited:
Top Bottom