Ultegra 6800 chain + cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

huwsparky

Über Member
Hi guys/gals

What is the normal distance a chain and cassette should last?

Took my bike for a check over last week and was told the chain was post tolerance (which I was shown with a chain measuring tool).

Now, I don't doubt the LBS but 1800 miles on a chain does seem not very much to me?

Either way I have ordered another and a cassette as well, as the LBS said that changing the chain may cause slippage on the old cassette.
Thanks.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Depends how you treat it.

Depends on how heavy you are I suppose, I check my chain regularly with a tool, and change the chain fairly regular probably around a similar 2,000 miles. I never bother to change the cassette unless it shows real wear which I find actually quite hard to determine but I would say I go through at least 5 chains before bothering to change the cassette, never had a chain slip on the cassette.

OP
OP
huwsparky

huwsparky

Über Member
Depends on how heavy you are I suppose, I check my chain regularly with a tool, and change the chain fairly regular probably around a similar 2,000 miles. I never bother to change the cassette unless it shows real wear which I find actually quite hard to determine but I would say I go through at least 5 chains before bothering to change the cassette, never had a chain slip on the cassette.

I'm just over 12 stone. I'll change the chain and leave the cassette and see how I get on. I don't really mind if it's on the shelf for another year because at some point I'll need it. That, and my N+1 which I'm planning will have the same cassette!

I've got as much as 2000 miles out of a chain, I've had some fail after 50 miles. The ones that have failed me have been crappy numbers off of eBay, the ones I trust are KMC, and Shimano. As for having to change cassette every time you change the chain, well that's just a lot of balls. I've changed chains and cassettes independently of one another for years, the trick is to make sure you have the same number of links in the replacement chain, and preferably make sure the new chain is for the same manufacturer. They are all subtly different.

OP
OP
huwsparky

huwsparky

Über Member
I've got as much as 2000 miles out of a chain, I've had some fail after 50 miles. The ones that have failed me have been crappy numbers off of eBay, the ones I trust are KMC, and Shimano. As for having to change cassette every time you change the chain, well that's just a lot of balls. I've changed chains and cassettes independently of one another for years, the trick is to make sure you have the same number of links in the replacement chain, and preferably make sure the new chain is for the same manufacturer. They are all subtly different.

To be fair I think the LBS was covering his arse by saying it may need a new cassette as well. He didn't say it 100% would need to be changed but it may need to be changed.

I've gone for a direct replacement on both items, Ultegra 6800.

To be fair I think the LBS was covering his arse by saying it may need a new cassette as well. He didn't say it 100% would need to be changed but it may need to be changed.

I've gone for a direct replacement on both items, Ultegra 6800.

Fair enough, the 6800 is a very nice cassette, I changed from a 5700 105 10 speed to a 6700 Ultegra 10 speed. I was amazed how much nicer the 6700 was.

potsy

Rambler
Usually look at 1500 miles per chain, and again usually can get 3 chains oer cassette if you catch them before they are too worn.
To be fair the cassettes I buy (Tiagra) are only about the same price as a chain anyway so it's not that expensive.

OP
OP
huwsparky

huwsparky

Über Member
To anyone in the same position I bought the both as a package from merlin cycles. The cassette was £40 and the chain £20. Buying the both together bought them back by about £4.

BTW I went for a 11-28 cassette. The 11-25 was £10 less for some bizzare reason.

To anyone in the same position I bought the both as a package from merlin cycles. The cassette was £40 and the chain £20. Buying the both together bought them back by about £4.

BTW I went for a 11-28 cassette. The 11-25 was £10 less for some bizzare reason.
The 11-25 is horse poo. That's why the difference. I had an 11-25 originally, the hills are a mare on a 25 top sprocket.

Top Bottom