Ultegra 6800 chain + cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
huwsparky

huwsparky

Über Member
Because they sometimes have to ride up bigger, longer hills than us. Even those of us that live in 'hilly' areas. Often for several days at a time. If you hit the bottom of the Galibier after three hours riding on the rivet, you'll need a 28 or more by the time you hit the top.

OK, but we don't have pro levels of fitness, none of us here do. But many of us here do 100+ mile rides. OK maybe we don't have 20000ft climbs but its all relevant. 1000ft climbs are common yes? Imagine an average cyclist (us) getting to a 1000ft climb after say 80 miles of cycling (quite possible) I don't think it's so terrible having to turn a 28t sprocket.

I'm going to attach a picture below of Strava comments of Dan Evans who is current national hillclimb champion and his comments on riding Bwlch Y Groes ( BTW this was a TT not part of a 100 miler)

Screenshot_2015-05-02-19-42-51.png
Now this guy who happens to be pretty decent on a bike 'lol' chose to ride a 2.5km route on a 28t.

I don't really care how you try to justify not needing one, anyone in my mind who rides in a hilly area should have these kinds of sprockets.

uclown2002

Guru
OK, but we don't have pro levels of fitness, none of us here do. But many of us here do 100+ mile rides. OK maybe we don't have 20000ft climbs but its all relevant. 1000ft climbs are common yes? Imagine an average cyclist (us) getting to a 1000ft climb after say 80 miles of cycling (quite possible) I don't think it's so terrible having to turn a 28t sprocket.

I'm going to attach a picture below of Strava comments of Dan Evans who is current national hillclimb champion and his comments on riding Bwlch Y Groes ( BTW this was a TT not part of a 100 miler)

View attachment 87561 Now this guy who happens to be pretty decent on a bike 'lol' chose to ride a 2.5km route on a 28t.

I don't really care how you try to justify not needing one, anyone in my mind who rides in a hilly area should have these kinds of sprockets.

Even if you don't need one?

Citius

I'm not arguing against 28s - not sure why you think I am. I'm just saying that 28 is not a 'default' for a hilly area. Ride the gears that your fitness can sustain. In any case, just talking about '28s' in isolation is meaningless without considering the ratios on the front as well. Do you know what size inner Dan was on when he rode up the Bwlch? I don't..

OP
OP
huwsparky

huwsparky

Über Member
I'm not arguing against 28s - not sure why you think I am. I'm just saying that 28 is not a 'default' for a hilly area. Ride the gears that your fitness can sustain. In any case, just talking about '28s' in isolation is meaningless without considering the ratios on the front as well. Do you know what size inner Dan was on when he rode up the Bwlch? I don't..
No, I don't. But climbing that on a standard and a 25 would have hurt!

But, still, he got up faster on a lower ratio.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Dan Evans does...
Why are you assuming he actually used the 28?

You must be awesome
Far from.

OP
OP
huwsparky

huwsparky

Über Member
Rarely

The only obvious thing is he fitted a 28, doesn't tell you what chainrings were used or if the 28 itself was ever used.
I can't possibly think of any one single reason why he would have fitted one not to use it. He's obviously done it before(from context of post) over-geared and decided to go back with a 28t which he felt he could go up the hill quicker on. That's how understand it anyhow.

What makes you think he didn't use it?

What has the chainset got to do with Dan choosing to take a lower ratio sprocket?

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
I've just bought a 9 sp 11-23........it was quite cheap.
If I come across a rather large hill I have a smaller ring at the front, doesn't everybody?

Top Bottom