Ultegra 6800 chain + cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

uclown2002

Guru
Back to the chain issue, I clean mine regularly and easily get 3000 miles out of it. Didn't realise others changed it so regularly. I have just changed the chain on my mates bike, it is still on the original chain and it's a 2009 Giant Defy and he uses it very regularly, easily 150 miles a week, most weeks. Dread to think how any miles on that chain, I would guess 10000 +

He didn't even want it changing but I was putting on a new front deraileur and I told him I may as well do it at the same time.

Do you guys change just as a matter of routine or when an issue arises?
I use something similar to this:- http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...gclid=CP-f36LcqMUCFe7MtAod8isAzA&gclsrc=aw.ds and replace around 0.75% wear. I can get 2-3 chains per cassette.

OP
OP
huwsparky

huwsparky

Über Member
Back to the chain issue, I clean mine regularly and easily get 3000 miles out of it. Didn't realise others changed it so regularly. I have just changed the chain on my mates bike, it is still on the original chain and it's a 2009 Giant Defy and he uses it very regularly, easily 150 miles a week, most weeks. Dread to think how any miles on that chain, I would guess 10000 +

He didn't even want it changing but I was putting on a new front deraileur and I told him I may as well do it at the same time.

Do you guys change just as a matter of routine or when an issue arises?

Is yours a 11 speed chain? My LBS told me that 11 speed chains tend to ware faster due to being thinner.

I'm going to change mine to reduce the possibility of being left stranded 50 miles from home, that and hopefully prolonging the life of the other more expensive components a worn chain could affect.

When younger and riding cheaper bikes I never snapped a chain and they were usually rusted through! Does make one think...

uclown2002

Guru
Is yours a 11 speed chain? My LBS told me that 11 speed chains tend to ware faster due to being thinner.

I'm going to change mine to reduce the possibility of being left stranded 50 miles from home, that and hopefully prolonging the life of the other more expensive components a worn chain could affect.

When younger and riding cheaper bikes I never snapped a chain and they were usually rusted through! Does make one think...
Most wannabes just carry a chain tool and quick link. ^_^

Citius

Anyway. Would you two mind me having a look at your Strava profiles so I can see weather your a pair of wannabes or weather you can actually ride? Always makes me wonder when I read threads like these.

Thanks in advance @Citius @T.M.H.N.E.T

Why are you having a go at me, fella?

Either way, my strava profile is irrelevant, as this isn't a dick-waving contest. If you're serious about proving yourself, pull your trousers back up and pin a number on.

OP
OP
huwsparky

huwsparky

Über Member
Not that I've ever needed one but ...........

I don't own one! Was looking for one last week to avoid taking the bike back to lbs for such a basic job but 11 speed ones look very expensive £20 odd.

Still a worthwhile purchase but seems expensive for what it is.

Do you have a recommendation?

OP
OP
huwsparky

huwsparky

Über Member
Why are you having a go at me, fella?

Either way, my strava profile is irrelevant, as this isn't a dick-waving contest. If you're serious about proving yourself, pull your trousers back up and pin a number on.
With all respect, coming out and saying something like a 28t is only necessary if your not fit enough for a 25t is kind of willy waving in my book. Either way, the thread is kind of getting back on topic so why don't we keep it that way?

uclown2002

Guru
Not got round to getting a chain tool for my 11 speed, so hoping my 10 speed tool will get me home. I'm not sure which one I have but was not expensive (<£10) and is very effective.

I've broken a couple of more expensive ones. I'll dig it out to identify.

Edit:- http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...gclid=CObp-q7iqMUCFXDLtAod1ngACA&gclsrc=aw.ds

Citius

With all respect, coming out and saying something like a 28t is only necessary if your not fit enough for a 25t is kind of willy waving in my book.

If that's how you have taken it, then it probably says more about you than it does about me. Just because you have a 28, doesn't mean everyone else should have one too. Gearing size does not correlate to dick size, not that I have researched that in any great detail.

But as I say - if you're desperate to prove something, then (given your location), you should line up at the Ystwyth Crits in a few weeks and see how you get on.

OP
OP
huwsparky

huwsparky

Über Member
Not got round to getting a chain tool for my 11 speed, so hoping my 10 speed tool will get me home. I'm not sure which one I have but was not expensive (<£10) and is very effective.

I've broken a couple of more expensive ones. I'll dig it out to identify.

Edit:- http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...gclid=CObp-q7iqMUCFXDLtAod1ngACA&gclsrc=aw.ds
Thanks for that.

Think I'll just invest in a 11 speed specific as it looks like I'll be needing it twice a year.

OP
OP
huwsparky

huwsparky

Über Member
If that's how you have taken it, then it probably says more about you than it does about me. Just because you have a 28, doesn't mean everyone else should have one too. Gearing size does not correlate to dick size, not that I have researched that in any great detail.

But as I say - if you're desperate to prove something, then (given your location), you should line up at the Ystwyth Crits in a few weeks and see how you get on.
I've still got the mental scar from the tour of Pembrokeshire fresh in my mind from last weekend so I may give that a miss!!! I'll have a look at it though as I was thinking of Etape Eryri next and that's a while away in June.

I don't feel I have anything to prove... Well to to anyone else anyhow!

Citius

I've still got the mental scar from the tour of Pembrokeshire fresh in my mind from last weekend so I may give that a miss!!! I'll have a look at it though as I was thinking of Etape Eryri next and that's a while away in June.

I don't feel I have anything to prove... Well to to anyone else anyhow!

Nobody has to prove anything, you me or anyone else, so don't go down that route. If anything, I'm a has-been, not a wannabe - which is why I have nothing to prove, and certainly not on fkin Strava.

Incidentally, I'm not talking about the sportive, I'm talking about the town centre races. Actual racing as opposed to pretend racing.

OP
OP
huwsparky

huwsparky

Über Member
Nobody has to prove anything, you me or anyone else, so don't go down that route. If anything, I'm a has-been, not a wannabe - which is why I have nothing to prove, and certainly not on fkin Strava.

Incidentally, I'm not talking about the sportive, I'm talking about the town centre races. Actual racing as opposed to pretend racing.
Cool, I don't need your life story.

But if you've actually got anything constructive feel free...

Citius

But if you've actually got anything constructive feel free...

Arrogance eh.. ok - here's something. Your strava 'trophies' mean nothing. Real ones are so much nicer. Pin a number on your back and find out for yourself - if you have the bottle.

Me n Jowwy have our differences, but I respect him because he puts his money where his mouth is at the end of the day. With all this calling people out and asking for their strave profiles - it doesn't sound like you do.

Last edited:
Top Bottom