Ultegra 6800 chain + cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Citius

Chris Froome regularly uses a 28t sprocket. Don't go there...

For riding up actual mountains, yes. But how many of us do that.

Citius

No they are just horse poo. It's the singularly worst choice of ratios you can have. Great if you are a bit crap, or a bit new to cycling, but otherwise a whole big bunch of arse.

That seems to make no sense. Like I said, a 25 is only too long if you can't pedal it. 28 might be too long for some, not long enough for others.

OP
OP
huwsparky

huwsparky

Über Member
For riding up actual mountains, yes. But how many of us do that.

I regularly do a 2.1 mile hill that averages about 9% but maxes at 16%. I probably could manage it on a 25t but I can guarantee i'd be quicker with a 28.

Earlier in the year I went and climbed Bwlch Y Groes (Google it) and couldn't manage it on a 28t. From reading about this climb it's had riders better than me walking. I tend to pick hilly rides as that's what I prefer. If you live in a hilly area (like I do) it's silly not having a 28t IMO.

I can well imagine that some people have a 25t and never use it, it's all down to the terrain you ride on as well as fitness levels.

Citius

28 is great if you need it. As you say, gearing tends to be dictated by fitness. If you can turn a 25 at the same cadence as a 28, you'll be quicker, but you'll need to be fitter to do it.

28 is great if you need it. As you say, gearing tends to be dictated by fitness. If you can turn a 25 at the same cadence as a 28, you'll be quicker, but you'll need to be fitter to do it.
Nuts. The 25 is for girls. It's a crock. I've got legs like tree trunks, would I choose a 25t, no bloody way.

U

User6179

Nuts. The 25 is for girls. It's a crock. I've got legs like tree trunks, would I choose a 25t, no bloody way.

I run 11/25 :biggrin:

I also have a triple crankset :whistle:

I regularly do a 2.1 mile hill that averages about 9% but maxes at 16%. I probably could manage it on a 25t but I can guarantee i'd be quicker with a 28.

Earlier in the year I went and climbed Bwlch Y Groes (Google it) and couldn't manage it on a 28t. From reading about this climb it's had riders better than me walking. I tend to pick hilly rides as that's what I prefer. If you live in a hilly area (like I do) it's silly not having a 28t IMO.

I can well imagine that some people have a 25t and never use it, it's all down to the terrain you ride on as well as fitness levels.
Exactly.

Citius

Why do pro's take a 28t then? They are 20 times fitter than any one on here could dream of being.

Because they sometimes have to ride up bigger, longer hills than us. Even those of us that live in 'hilly' areas. Often for several days at a time. If you hit the bottom of the Galibier after three hours riding on the rivet, you'll need a 28 or more by the time you hit the top.

Last edited:
Top Bottom