Ultegra cassette upgrade....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyt414

Folks, my road bike has an Ultegra group set with an 11 speed 11 x 30 cassette. I would like to upgrade to an 11 x 32 or perhaps an 11 x 34 cassette. Would the existing derailleur be suitable for this upgrade ? Thanks in advance....

Need to find out if it's a 'Short' or 'Medium' rear derailleur, you need a Medium.

I have 105 which came with 11-32 and swapped to 11-34 easy but mine was medium already, you can fine the measurements for both on line.

If making the change I would go 11-34 as it's better to have 'more' gears than you need rather than less.

pawl

Legendary Member
I swapped my Ultegra to 105 medium and 105 11 32 cassette With hindsight I wish I had gone for 34 Will do when the cassette needs changing There is a weight penalty but I am just a leisure cyclist these days.As regards shifting performance I can’t say I noticed any difference Cost wise 105 is cheaper

Cycleops

Legendary Member
A 32t should work okay but 34 might be a bridge too far. Give it a try and see.
If the 34t doesn't work buy a gear extended or 'Wolftooth', that should sort it.

CXRAndy

Guru
Shimano always under egg their capacity for gearing. Being a 30t now I would expect a GS derailleur. 32t will be a walk in the park.

You could quickly check by winding the 'B' screw in(when on the 30t cog) and see how far back the derailleur moves. If you have lots of play then I go for it.

pawl

Legendary Member
Before I changed the rear mech to the medium I tried it with the 32 tooth
Think I may have got away with it Didn’t try it under riding conditions

dickyknees

Guru

I saw this the other day on an American forum.

Theres similar but cheaper versions on the SJS site too.

Top Bottom