Ultegra Di2 Compact 50/34 with 11-32 cassette?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

altecsole

Regular
I currently ride this combination in a 105 groupset and it suits me well as I live in a pretty hilly area just on the border between Lancashire, Cumbria and North Yorkshire. I've been looking at Ultegra Di2 equiped bikes and can't seem to find any with this combination? Any with a 50/34 crank have an 11-28 cassette. Is this combination possible with Di2?

Many thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I currently ride this combination in a 105 groupset and it suits me well as I live in a pretty hilly area just on the border between Lancashire, Cumbria and North Yorkshire. I've been looking at Ultegra Di2 equiped bikes and can't seem to find any with this combination? Any with a 50/34 crank have an 11-28 cassette. Is this combination possible with Di2?

Many thanks for taking the time to read and respond.
Longer cage rear mech (GS version) will do 11-32 as standard on Ultegra 6800, 11-34 on the R8000 version that's just out. I'm running 50/34 & 11-32 on my Litespeed. Mechanical or Di2, no difference. Bigger cassettes possible with a Lindarets/Wolf Tooth Road Link.

OP
OP
A

altecsole

Regular
Longer cage rear mech (GS version) will do 11-32 as standard on Ultegra 6800, 11-34 on the R8000 version that's just out. I'm running 50/34 & 11-32 on my Litespeed. Mechanical or Di2, no difference. Bigger cassettes possible with a Lindarets/Wolf Tooth Road Link.
Great, many thanks. It might be worth me waiting for the 6800 series to start appearing on new bikes then. Cheers

adscrim

Veteran
Great, many thanks. It might be worth me waiting for the 6800 series to start appearing on new bikes then. Cheers
6800 is the outgoing groupset. What you need is a bike that already has the medium cage rear mech - look for RD-6870 GS on the spec sheet.

You're unlikely to get a 11-32 on the standard spec but if the medium cage rear mech is already there, you'll be able to swap the cassettes yourself. If you buy from a shop the might even swap it for you FOC.

OP
OP
A

altecsole

Regular
6800 is the outgoing groupset. What you need is a bike that already has the medium cage rear mech - look for RD-6870 GS on the spec sheet.

You're unlikely to get a 11-32 on the standard spec but if the medium cage rear mech is already there, you'll be able to swap the cassettes yourself. If you buy from a shop the might even swap it for you FOC.
That's very useful. Many thanks.

OP
OP
A

altecsole

Regular
Many thanks. Any tips on how to choose the correct crank length? Is it based on leg length, or height?

OP
OP
A

altecsole

Regular
If comfortable with your current crank length, is there a reason to change?
I bought the bike I have now without really knowing too much about what I was buying and it was more by good luck than judgement that I got something fairly decent. The crank length seems fine to me so I guessed it was based on the frame size but the Dolan link that Sight Pin posted gives multiple options for crank length. I'll do some Googling. Cheers

vickster

Legendary Member
How tall are you? If you change the crank length, you'll need to change the saddle position/bike set up to compensate. Personally, if just changing components I wouldn't mess around with sizing if you're happy with the fit and set up. That way madness may lie (not to mention aches and pains)

OP
OP
A

altecsole

Regular
How tall are you? If you change the crank length, you'll need to change the saddle position/bike set up to compensate. Personally, if just changing components I wouldn't mess around with sizing if you're happy with the fit and set up. That way madness may lie (not to mention aches and pains)
Thanks. I'm 179cm, or 5' 11" ish. I was thinking of getting a new bike with Di2, rather than swapping my current 105 groupset.

Top Bottom