1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ultegra Di2 Compact 50/34 with 11-32 cassette?

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by altecsole, 13 Sep 2017.

Tags:
  1. altecsole

altecsole Member

I currently ride this combination in a 105 groupset and it suits me well as I live in a pretty hilly area just on the border between Lancashire, Cumbria and North Yorkshire. I've been looking at Ultegra Di2 equiped bikes and can't seem to find any with this combination? Any with a 50/34 crank have an 11-28 cassette. Is this combination possible with Di2?

Many thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

2. StuAff

StuAff Silencing his legs regularly

Longer cage rear mech (GS version) will do 11-32 as standard on Ultegra 6800, 11-34 on the R8000 version that's just out. I'm running 50/34 & 11-32 on my Litespeed. Mechanical or Di2, no difference. Bigger cassettes possible with a Lindarets/Wolf Tooth Road Link.

3. altecsole

altecsole Member

Great, many thanks. It might be worth me waiting for the 6800 series to start appearing on new bikes then. Cheers

4. StuAff

StuAff Silencing his legs regularly

6800 is the outgoing version, R8000 the new one...and it's already on sale.

5. adscrim

adscrim Über Member

6800 is the outgoing groupset. What you need is a bike that already has the medium cage rear mech - look for RD-6870 GS on the spec sheet.

You're unlikely to get a 11-32 on the standard spec but if the medium cage rear mech is already there, you'll be able to swap the cassettes yourself. If you buy from a shop the might even swap it for you FOC.

6. sight-pin

sight-pin Über Member

7. altecsole

altecsole Member

Sorry, my brain knew that but my fingers didn't! Thanks.

8. altecsole

altecsole Member

That's very useful. Many thanks.

9. altecsole

altecsole Member

10. sight-pin

sight-pin Über Member

Not really sure TBH, think it's by your height, I'd give them a ring if your not sure.

11. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

If comfortable with your current crank length, is there a reason to change?

12. altecsole

altecsole Member

Okay, thanks.

13. altecsole

altecsole Member

I bought the bike I have now without really knowing too much about what I was buying and it was more by good luck than judgement that I got something fairly decent. The crank length seems fine to me so I guessed it was based on the frame size but the Dolan link that Sight Pin posted gives multiple options for crank length. I'll do some Googling. Cheers

14. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

How tall are you? If you change the crank length, you'll need to change the saddle position/bike set up to compensate. Personally, if just changing components I wouldn't mess around with sizing if you're happy with the fit and set up. That way madness may lie (not to mention aches and pains)

15. altecsole

altecsole Member

Thanks. I'm 179cm, or 5' 11" ish. I was thinking of getting a new bike with Di2, rather than swapping my current 105 groupset.