Ultegra Di2 Compact 50/34 with 11-32 cassette?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I run Ultegra Di2. Had my Cervelo converted for France this June. Was running 11-28 with 52-36 up front. Bought compact Rotor chainrings, and then the GS rear mech for around £20 from SJ Cycles, an 11-32 cassette from Wiggle and engaged a friendly bike mechanic. Job done

adamhearn

Veteran
I was thinking of getting a new bike with Di2, rather than swapping my current 105 groupset.
If you're buying a new bike from a LBS then you could ask them if they would swap out the rear mech and cassette for the spec you're after.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I run Ultegra Di2. Had my Cervelo converted for France this June. Was running 11-28 with 52-36 up front. Bought compact Rotor chainrings, and then the GS rear mech for around £20 from SJ Cycles, an 11-32 cassette from Wiggle and engaged a friendly bike mechanic. Job done
£20 for a di2 rear mech???

OP
OP
A

altecsole

Regular
Great, thanks. Good to know that this configuration is possible.

jowwy

Great, thanks. Good to know that this configuration is possible.
You don't need to go to the expense of purchasing a long cage rear mech......you just need a woolftooth road link

I use one on my etap so it takes a 40t cassette, it was an alps killer for me

You don't need to go to the expense of purchasing a long cage rear mech......you just need a woolftooth road link

I use one on my etap so it takes a 40t cassette, it was an alps killer for me
In the Alps I had 50-34 with 11-32 out back. I wasn't aware of the Wolf Tooth Roadlink. Cost wise the plates that make up the mech cage are similar to the Roadlink.

jowwy

In the Alps I had 50-34 with 11-32 out back. I wasn't aware of the Wolf Tooth Roadlink. Cost wise the plates that make up the mech cage are similar to the Roadlink.
But it's easier and less complicated for the newby mechanic to fit the woolftooth

But it's easier and less complicated for the newby mechanic to fit the woolftooth

My solution was suggested by a tame bike mechanic friend who'd done similar conversions so I just let him get on with it. BTW what was your lowest gear you had available in the Alps?

jowwy

My solution was suggested by a tame bike mechanic friend who'd done similar conversions so I just let him get on with it. BTW what was your lowest gear you had available in the Alps?
34/40 was my lowest available, using sram etap........I could have gone to 42t as I was running a 46/34 upfront, but stuck with 40

34/40 was my lowest available, using sram etap........I could have gone to 42t as I was running a 46/34 upfront, but stuck with 40

Mine was 34-32. It was all still a grind. Have Rotor chainrings, not come across an outer ring below 50 tooth.

jowwy

Mine was 34-32. It was all still a grind. Have Rotor chainrings, not come across an outer ring below 50 tooth.
I used a generic chainring from TA in black.........fits the sram red crankset no problem and means I use ,ore of the rear cassette using the 46.... for me it's a much better set-up. I'm also now back on a 32 cassette back here in South Wales I don't need the 40

I used a generic chainring from TA in black.........fits the sram red crankset no problem and means I use ,ore of the rear cassette using the 46.... for me it's a much better set-up. I'm also now back on a 32 cassette back here in South Wales I don't need the 40
I've still kept my 11-32 on for now but thinking of going back to 11-28 with compact for normal riding around here. Going to invest in some new wheels in New Year so will keep 11-32 on lightweight Mavics for France 2019.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
When I bought my Focus Cayo Di2 it came with a 52/36 chainset and a 11/28 cassette.
I changed the cassette to a 11/32. I later changed the chainset to a 50/34.
Both items went straight on with no further modifications.

Top Bottom