Ultegra LH shifter stopped functioning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
This happened this morning, somewhere on the A25 between Gomshall and Abinger Hammer, just before the turn off to a beast of a climb. I realised I was stuck in the big ring just as I turned on to the road in question. After 10 mins of faffing and getting oil on my hands, mitts, white saddle and white bar tape, I decided to release the gear cable at the front mech and put the chain onto the small ring manually. After the climb, I stopped and did the same again but put it onto the middle ring and left it this way all the way home.

So - has anybody had this happen, with the new Ultegra shifters? The paddle wouldn't budge at all to begin with and I applied some *reasonable force, eventually the paddle started to click inwards again but the cable kept tension and didn't move the front mech. I am about to Google 'resetting front shiter on Ultegra' and so on, before inspecting it more closely but was wondering if this is a common issue?

Shimano keep having problems with their left "shiter" - this has been going on for years.

The only thing I can suggest is that occasionally the cable can get caught in the shifting mechanism - take the cable right out and then see if you have the clicks up and down.

If not then I suspect it's bust - the "reasonable force" bit wasn't the best thing to do though!.

spacecat

This happened to me. I couldn't work out what the hell was going on, until I stripped the cable out and found it had started to fray where it wound round the shifter. I couldn't see anything wrong at all untill I took the cable out.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
ok - cheers... I shall see if I can slide the cable out and get it working, if not I will be contacting CRC for warranty replacement of the shifter :rolleyes: Don't seem to be having much luck at the moment, first my Planet X wheels, now this!

Was the gear cable slack at all. Could be it's come off it's slot in the shifter as per AccntPete's advice.

White bar tape and mitts eh, all dirty <snigger>

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Update: It's kaput! :sad:

Removed 'now grubby' bar tape and took the little plastic plate off, to expose the end of the cable and mechanism. Unhooked the cable and moved it around... a bit of in and out. Put it back into the required position and replaced the cover. Fastened the cable at the front mech end and tried to shift... no dice! Bah :headshake:

Oh and Crackle - you're going in my little black book, just for that snigger!

You need to remove the cable completely.

I'd remove the shifter from the bars and take the cable completely out.

Then try clicking up and down with the lever partially open so that you can see the cable slot.

You need to remove the cable completely.

I'd remove the shifter from the bars and take the cable completely out.

Then try clicking up and down with the lever partially open so that you can see the cable slot.

^ dat.

At least the book is black then

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Update #2:
Tape is now off and totally screwed! I mean ripped, grubby and unusable, heh.

I don't know what I'm looking for really but it seems to be that when you push the paddle in (down-shift), it tries to catch on a ratchet somewhere but misses. Likewise the big sweep of the main brake lever (up-shift) just doesn't happen. I have sent an e-mail to CRC already asking about replacing the lever under warranty. I'll have to see what thye come back with but this one isn;t looking good. :wacko:

It's Kaput! New Lever under Warranty.

Shame really - I have just repaired a Campagnolo left hand shifter and it's a straight forward procedure to fully dismantle,repair and replace.

Update #2:
Tape is now off and totally screwed! I mean ripped, grubby and unusable, heh.

I don't know what I'm looking for really but it seems to be that when you push the paddle in (down-shift), it tries to catch on a ratchet somewhere but misses. Likewise the big sweep of the main brake lever (up-shift) just doesn't happen. I have sent an e-mail to CRC already asking about replacing the lever under warranty. I'll have to see what thye come back with but this one isn;t looking good. :wacko:

Last idea. put the cable in and put some serious tension on it and then try to change.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Cheers chaps

Last idea. put the cable in and put some serious tension on it and then try to change.

Kind of already tried that one and no joy. I could do without the expense and hassle of having to send this back and get replacement tape, this month (skint already)...

Top Bottom