Ultegra or KMC X11 Chain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
Looking around for bargains on consumables for the future and seen the Ultegra 11 speed chain going for £13.99. Normally I would use the KMC X11 SL (£36,95) and not think twice, but have Ultegra fitted presently and had no issues.

Have heard that the Ultegra isn't as good, but at a third of the price...

Has anyone used both Ultegra and KMC and what are your thoughts?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Buy the cheaper one and replace regularly. Basic kmc or similar chains are fine. The Ultegra one seems a bargain. Buy 3!

zizou

Veteran
I prefer KMC (for the quick link and gold colour!) but in this case i'd save the money and go for Ultegra. Or 'downgrade' on the KMC model to X11 L model

IIRC KMC make the chains for Shimano

D

Deleted member 23692

I was a KMC convert but have recently reverted to Shimano chains - Ultegra on the road bike and XT on the MTB. Both are directional and seem to offer much smoother changes than the more expensive KMC ones I had previously. I've fitted them with KMC quick links, cos it's just better :smile:

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Cheers for the replies guys. Always planned to add a quick link when replacing anyway.

It's academic now, as the product has been removed from the pbk site. They now have the 10 speed version listed for the same price. I suspect that it may have been an error, in hindsight.

Have found the 11 speed one elsewhere for £19.99 inc postage though, if that helps @youngoldbloke

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Check it before you need it. I bought a bargain KMC Chain from PX, didn't use it for several months but when I did found it was missing pins and I was left holding two sections of chain :ohmy:
Cheers for the heads up. It's in a sealed box, so should be ok :blush: but I also ordered a KMC 10 speed which I will be fitting very soon & that is just in a bag, so best check that one ASAP :okay:

Top Bottom