ultra light panniers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

willem

Über Member
New technologies have created a wave of significantly lighter camping gear. Sleeping bags, mattresses or tents are now often only half the weight of what they were only a few years ago, and their volume is also much reduced. Therefore, using just a set of rear panniers is now perfectly feasible for many trips. However, thus far the panniers themselves were still as heavy as ever, and in fact modern panniers are often quite a bit heavier than classic panniers like the Karrimor ones of old.
Well respected Canadian pannier manufacturer Arkel has now changed all this in one dramatic move, with the introduction of their waterproof Dry-Lite panniers, at 420 gram for a 32 liter set: http://www.arkelpanniers.co.uk/uk/all-categories/randonneur-series/dry-lites.html These are not only much lighter, but also somewhat smaller than most alternatives, but that matches the reduced volume of much modern gear, and compares with modern ultralight backpacs. The Dry-Lites can be lighter because they use a lighter modern fabric, and because they avoid heavy stiffeners and metal/plastic adjustable hooks. As a result of such simplicity, these panniers are also relatively cheap.
I have not yet been able to test them personally, and I would perhaps hesitate to use them on an expedition tour. But for a fast tour in temperate Europe, they seem an appealing and 3 pound lighter alternative to traditional panniers. There are few cheaper ways to cut 3 pounds off your luggage weight.
Willem

toekneep

Interesting. I agree that some of the modern panniers can be a bit over-engineered. I suspect the only argument against these will be durability.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Carradice Kendals

Super light as they are made of canvas and corragated plastic, had mine over 15 years and get used daily, if Id lose them I would be out buying another pair

Heres mine

DSC_0382.JPG

DSC_0506.JPG

Ive used other panniers, soon got rid and kept these

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Carradice Kendals

Super light as they are made of canvas and corragated plastic, had mine over 15 years and get used daily, if Id lose them I would be out buying another pair

Heres mine

DSC_0382.JPG

DSC_0506.JPG

Ive used other panniers, soon got rid and kept these
Nice SS! What seatpost is that?

MarkF

Guru
New technologies have created a wave of significantly lighter camping gear. Sleeping bags, mattresses or tents are now often only half the weight of what they were only a few years ago, and their volume is also much reduced. Therefore, using just a set of rear panniers is now perfectly feasible for many trips. However, thus far the panniers themselves were still as heavy as ever, and in fact modern panniers are often quite a bit heavier than classic panniers like the Karrimor ones of old.
Well respected Canadian pannier manufacturer Arkel has now changed all this in one dramatic move, with the introduction of their waterproof Dry-Lite panniers, at 420 gram for a 32 liter set: http://www.arkelpanniers.co.uk/uk/all-categories/randonneur-series/dry-lites.html These are not only much lighter, but also somewhat smaller than most alternatives, but that matches the reduced volume of much modern gear, and compares with modern ultralight backpacs. The Dry-Lites can be lighter because they use a lighter modern fabric, and because they avoid heavy stiffeners and metal/plastic adjustable hooks. As a result of such simplicity, these panniers are also relatively cheap.
I have not yet been able to test them personally, and I would perhaps hesitate to use them on an expedition tour. But for a fast tour in temperate Europe, they seem an appealing and 3 pound lighter alternative to traditional panniers. There are few cheaper ways to cut 3 pounds off your luggage weight.
Willem

Excellent, I have good make of panniers, they are far too sturdy and durable for "normal" touring. On my last tour I worked out that 1.5kg of panniers carried 3.5kg's, silly!

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Well respected Canadian pannier manufacturer Arkel has now changed all this in one dramatic move, with the introduction of their waterproof Dry-Lite panniers, at 420 gram for a 32 liter set: http://www.arkelpanniers.co.uk/uk/all-categories/randonneur-series/dry-lites.html
Those seem very similar to what a number of people have being doing in a DIY manner, by attaching an Ortleib hook rail (available as a spare) to a standard drybag.
[edit - add link]
http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=73924&p=644064

I'd agree that durability is the likely issue. Probably best to use a propstand (losing some of your weight saving) rather than lean the bike against a stone wall.

Last edited:

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Its a stolen seatpost :sad:

Bike got stolen about 1 1/2 year back

Could be Ambrosio or a Terry Dolan?
Sorry to hear that.

jjb

Über Member
These Arkels look great. It'd be 1kg saved for me, though I'd miss the end pockets of my current panniers. Just got to figure out if 32kg will do the trick.

EDIT: Litres, not kg. 32kg would be a step in the wrong direction!

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

willem

Über Member
In my own experience 32 liter will be enough for a summer tour in a temperate climate (plus a top tube or bar bag for little things). Last Spring I made a 4 day solo trip in Luxemburg and Germany, and I managed with 25 liters (Ortlieb frontrollers as main panniers), plus the tent on top of the rack. This included a mattras (Exped Synmat UL), PhD minim 200 sleeping bag, a Trangia 27 stove, food, and clothing for 4 days. On my solo trip to Norway a few years ago I needed 40 liters in two Ortlieb Backrollers (1.9 kg the set), but I carried a heavier sleeping bag, a Downmat, and warmer clothing. I think 32 liters is perfect for what most people do. For a trip in the colder and/or wetter season, and in more remote areas, I would want to have more space, and perhaps somewhat more robust materials. But who knows? My Dry-LItes are on their way, so I have no personal experience yet. To be continued when I have them.
Willem

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

willem

Über Member
They arrived. My first impressions are that they look more robust than I feared. The material feels like the groundsheet material of the most sturdy Hilleberg tents. I am not too worried on that score, even if they will not last forever. I also like that the fronts are angled so you have more heel clearance, so you can fit them further forward for a better weight distribution. Finally, they are a bit smaller than I expected, and closer to the 25 liter Ortlieb frontrollers than to the 40 liter backrollers (though still larger than the former). This really is for the ultralight and ultracompact brigade, or for hostel tourers.
Willem

jjb

Über Member
Thanks for the update - it'll be interesting to see just how much stuff you get in the panniers and how they fare on the road.

OP
OP
W

willem

Über Member
To save volume, I will use them with a PHD Minimus 200 sleeping bag and an Exped Synmat UL mattress, both suitable for temperatures down to a few degrees above freezing. I will use a Trangia 27 stove, even though that is not the most compact system (but I like freshly cooked meals). If I want everything to fit, I will really need to keep the volume of the clothing down. For warmth, I have a PHD down vest, but beyond that the question is how much of a smelly tramp I am prepared to be.
Willem

Top Bottom