Understanding my heart rate data

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david k

Hi
Completed a 40 mile ride today and beat my PB for 10 miles by 5 seconds,, hurray! 31.20minutes BTW

This is my data on my HRM, can anyone help me understand it please

RESTING
(70 - 124)
1h:01m:43s
WARM UP
(125 - 134)
21m:32s
FAT BURNING
(135 - 145)
36m:03s
AEROBIC
(146 - 156)
54m:12s
ANAEROBIC
(157 - 167)
26m:58s
MAXIMUM 168-179 -1m06s

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Where is the original data? On a Garmin?

T.M.H.N.E.T

It doesn't really tell anyone anything of use** TBH. It's numbers with no base or previous effort to base them on.

The one thing that does stand out is "fat burning" which is a load of crap. It was calculated somewhere that you burn more by riding at intensity and increasing your BMR temporarily after, than you would anally staying below 146bpm.

**HR is often a pointless comparison. Especially to other people.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I think your MHR value is set incorrectly (too low is my guess). Apparently you spent just under a 3rd of the ride in an anaerobic state (without questioning the Endomondo zone definitions)?

Or has the formatting in your post caused me some confusion? Very possible.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
no the data is accurate to what endomondo says

garmin connect just says

Heart Rate
Avg HR: 78 % of Max
Max HR: 94 % of Max

T.M.H.N.E.T

Heart Rate
Avg HR: 144 bpm
Max HR:174 bpm

which also means nothing to me??????
It means you averaged 144bpm and hit 174bpm max. The zone stuff is probably based on default values set in your connect profile. They are pretty much useless if you unless know your actual resting HR or maxHR.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Average HR is a meaningless figure tbh. Max HR, rather useless too (unless you set out to determine it). Back to your previous post, clarify the format so is it more readable. That information tell you more, although only if you have input MHR correctly, and someone will be able to assist in understanding it.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
my HR does fluctute a lot but i used my closest average figure and did a basic formula i found on the internet to set my MHR - not very scientific i know and a good chance its out. TBH i just use the data for a bit of interest and its not the be all and end all.

I do notice that if i go above 150BPM i tire, so i try to stay just below that and i seem to stay fresh for longer

WHat's the highest max HR you have ever seen? Just take that for now and pop into one of the many zone calculators on't web.

Ningishzidda

When you get to a certain point in your exertion, you should feel a sharp burning sensation in your quads.
Did you feel this? No? Ride harder.

Garz

Squat Member
When you get to a certain point in your exertion, you should feel a sharp burning sensation in your quads.
Did you feel this? No? Ride harder.

Burning in your quads will flag fatigue in the muscle or high lactic acid buildup - your cv system may not be flaking at this point. It could work the other way but I agree in a generic sense riding harder will improve your cycling fitness. :laugh:

Ningishzidda

If you’re thinking of doing HR max work, go to your Doctor’s and arrange a full ECG test. The practice nurse will do it. It only takes quarter of an hour.
I get mine in March or April just as I’m coming to train peak for the season.

Top Bottom