Understanding my heart rate data

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Interestingly, when I got an HR monitor and learnt how to use it, I discovered it confirmed what my perceived scale of effort already told me. As I said upstream, it confirms what you already know but it's nice to have that confirmation, otherwise you're often left wondering and you may end up trying harder when you shouldn't (guilty once) or not trying hard enough (guilty now).

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I just knew where it would end up so I took a shortcut :thumbsup:

..and you brought power meters into the convo, Ive only concerned myself with HR and HRMs

I mentioned the use in passing, as a parallel, to illustrate the point that the fact that some may benefit from collecting and analysing data, either in real time, or post-ride whilst some may not and that the difference between benefiting or not can be down to something as variable as personality. Some people like numbers, structure etc, others do not like it, it is overwhelming, an extravagance etc.

The point at which the in's and out's of the usefulness of power meters emerged when you backed the conversation into a corner wanting to know how you would KNOW something, to which I responded, either by training in a lab, or by field measurement using a power meter.

That is all.

To be honest, the point you claim to have been making (which seems to have evolved constantly without ever establishing itself) bears no resemblance to your 1st post in the thread. If these two things are directly linked, I am at a loss to your thought process.

VamP

Banned
Interestingly, when I got an HR monitor and learnt how to use it, I discovered it confirmed what my perceived scale of effort already told me. As I said upstream, it confirms what you already know but it's nice to have that confirmation, otherwise you're often left wondering and you may end up trying harder when you shouldn't (guilty once) or not trying hard enough (guilty now).

Yep Perceived Effort is good. Once you have calibrated your Perception. That's the tricky part.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
A post will generally not be edited post reply, if so, I would refer you to the above. All edits are made before any reply is made.

lukesdad

I havn t claimed anything Im just asking questions and living in hope one day someone might answer one without the fear of making themselves look a tw*t :biggrin:

VamP

Banned
I havn t claimed anything Im just asking questions and living in hope one day someone might answer one without the fear of making themselves look a tw*t :biggrin:

I can't tell if you are genuinely after answers, and just incapable of formulating the question, or if you're in a mischievous frame of mind :whistle:

Does annoy me that Garmin connect doesn't break down time into HR zones. You can download the garmin software and use that but it's a bit clunky. Might have to upgrade to Strava Premium.

For me, I find heart rate reading and data very useful as when on a ride I can quickly tell how hard I am working (and whether that corresponds to how I feel).

I can usually guess my heart rate within a few bpm's too.
Do you ever upload to RWGPS it breaks the info down into time spent in each zone.

400bhp

Guru
Do you ever upload to RWGPS it breaks the info down into time spent in each zone.

No

I do have an account over there, but got annoyed with it after I created a route to download to my Garmin and it mistook it as an actual ride.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom