Understanding my heart rate data

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VamP

Banned
How the feck is a power meter going to help you decide how to train on a given day ?

You can track your training load (short and long term) and adjust your workouts to help you achieve the training effect you seek. The amount of insight you gain with a power meter is staggering, it's a totally different ballgame to anything else. HR monitoring is like guesswork by comparison.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
How the feck is a power meter going to help you decide how to train on a given day ?

Have a read around, training peaks is a reasonably good source since the authors of some of the best texts on the matter have included excerpts. The information you can derive from a single time varying data field is immense! Or if you are really interested, join the Wattage group.

A few topics you may want to have a gander at include, chronic training load, acute training load, training stress balance, performance management chart, intensity factor, training stress score, periodisation.........

lukesdad

You can track your training load (short and long term) and adjust your workouts to help you achieve the training effect you seek. The amount of insight you gain with a power meter is staggering, it's a totally different ballgame to anything else. HR monitoring is like guesswork by comparison.
You ve missed the point, can a power meter indicate a cold comming on or other such ailments at the start of any given day ?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
You ve missed the point, can a power meter indicate a cold comming on or other such ailments at the start of any given day ?

Not exactly no, although it does afford an objective measurement of intensity, which can be compared to things such as HR data or RPE which are subject to influences such as a cold. So in combination, you have a higher chance of picking up on such things than you otherwise would, i.e. if you are only going 60-70% FTP and your HR is at 85% MHR and you feel like you are working really hard, you now KNOW that you are not working as hard as you feel and your body is reacting to the demand in a none typical way (high HR). Something is not right, you should stop.

lukesdad

Not exactly no, although it does afford an objective measurement of intensity, which can be compared to things such as HR data or RPE which are subject to influences such as a cold. So in combination, you have a higher chance of picking up on such things than you otherwise would, i.e. if you are only going 60-70% FTP and your HR is at 85% MHR and you feel like you are working really hard, you now KNOW that you are not working as hard as you feel and your body is reacting to the demand in a none typical way (high HR). Something is not right, you should stop.
So you would use your power meter at 6am every morning to determine this ?

VamP

Banned

Any number of things can give an elevated HR reading. Do you abandon rides because of what your resting HR is? I never do. If I feel rough during the ride, I will adjust intensity.

In fact, I haven't even used my HR strap in couple of months now. I feel it is redundant.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
To save this going round and round and you getting bored, as you suggested would happen, can you just state the point you want to make, then I will comment on it. You know me well enough LD to know that I a happy to discuss, but it is frustrating when you do this elusive/cryptic thing.

lukesdad

Any number of things can give an elevated HR reading. Do you abandon rides because of what your resting HR is? I never do. If I feel rough during the ride, I will adjust intensity.

In fact, I haven't even used my HR strap in couple of months now. I feel it is redundant.
WHR and RHR are completely different things but Im not going there for the minute.

VamP

Banned
WHR and RHR are completely different things but Im not going there for the minute.

You do seem determined to make a a point, but I really have no idea what it might be.

lukesdad

To save this going round and round and you getting bored, as you suggested would happen, can you just state the point you want to make, then I will comment on it. You know me well enough LD to know that I a happy to discuss, but it is frustrating when you do this elusive/cryptic thing.
The point Rob is these guys don t want to know about power meters, they quite correctly dont want to fork out for them. They want to know how they can use a relatively cheap HRM and get the best out of it. Now the majority of what they can get out of one is beyond them, with me so far ? Therefore dropping to the lowest common denominator, the only use I can see for one, for them, is for general well being and a ball park fitness test. Hence an HRM is actualy more use to them off the bike than on.

Its not cryptic its giving people chance to think for themselves, (ploughing a lonely furrow I know but someone has to ) :biggrin:

Reactions: 4F

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I think your plight failed, not because those responding don't have the capacity to think it out for themselves, but because you pushed the conversation in a direction that frankly was not conducive to this thread whilst somehow convinced you are bringing it back on topic. So far, up until your arrival, the thread was based on helping the OP to understand his data, collected from his HRM. No-one recommended that the OP or the general CC populous buy a power meter.

It seems almost as if you read something that wasn't there! :wacko:

400bhp

Guru
Have you set your zones up in the Tools - Options - Athlete tab?

IMO GC is the best free tool for data analysis. Garmin Connect is a complete waste of time.

Can't remember now(was late last night and i'm now at work) but I recall going into the rider options tab and setting my RHR and max HR, but then it wouldn't allow me to set zones (there were already zones set up on a separate tab so I just assumed that it would use these default ones?)

lukesdad

I think your plight failed, not because those responding don't have the capacity to think it out for themselves, but because you pushed the conversation in a direction that frankly was not conducive to this thread whilst somehow convinced you are bringing it back on topic. So far, up until your arrival, the thread was based on helping the OP to understand his data, collected from his HRM. No-one recommended that the OP or the general CC populous buy a power meter.

It seems almost as if you read something that wasn't there! :wacko:
I just knew where it would end up so I took a shortcut :thumbsup:

..and you brought power meters into the convo, Ive only concerned myself with HR and HRMs

Top Bottom