Understanding my heart rate data

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Does annoy me that Garmin connect doesn't break down time into HR zones. You can download the garmin software and use that but it's a bit clunky. Might have to upgrade to Strava Premium.

For me, I find heart rate reading and data very useful as when on a ride I can quickly tell how hard I am working (and whether that corresponds to how I feel).

I can usually guess my heart rate within a few bpm's too.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Does annoy me that Garmin connect doesn't break down time into HR zones. You can download the garmin software and use that but it's a bit clunky. Might have to upgrade to Strava Premium.

For me, I find heart rate reading and data very useful as when on a ride I can quickly tell how hard I am working (and whether that corresponds to how I feel).

I can usually guess my heart rate within a few bpm's too.

Golden Cheetah will give that information :smile: It is free. Maybe some free websites will also give it, endomondo, ridewithgps etc?

lukesdad

If you want an answer, you are going to have to ask the question in a way that makes sense or at least appears to loosely correlate to what I said :tongue:
Well it occured to me if you want to understand HR data an HRM is an essential. :tongue:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
You know full well that I meant training by HR is a non-essential step and you can train without such data, regardless of the pursuit. But by having it at your disposal you may benefit. You also may not, for various reasons, some as fickle as your personality. For example I train using power data, it suits my personality and my choosen disciplines (time trialling and hill climbs, which also coincidently suit my personality), I have gained massively from using a power meter, others would hate it to the point it become counter productive. Same goes for HR.

However, since we are playing a game of pedantry, your comment is equally incorrect, it is perfectly plausible to understand HR data without having a HR monitor. You could for example, read a book. I did that, long before buying anything, I just wish others might do the same sometimes, given the number of times the same basic questions come up on this forum!

VamP

Banned
Thanks-just downloaded but can't seem to get the HR zones showing data?

Have you set your zones up in the Tools - Options - Athlete tab?

IMO GC is the best free tool for data analysis. Garmin Connect is a complete waste of time.

lukesdad

You know full well that I meant training by HR is a non-essential step and you can train without such data, regardless of the pursuit. But by having it at your disposal you may benefit. You also may not, for various reasons, some as fickle as your personality.

However, since we are playing a game of pedantry, your comment is equally incorrect, it is perfectly plausible to understand HR data without having a HR monitor. You could for example, read a book. I did that, long before buying anything, I just wish others might do the same sometimes, given the number of times the same basic questions come up on this forum!
Of course you can train without such information but without it how do you know when to train and how hard ?

We'll get there in the end I suppose, but I warn you my interest may well have waned by that time.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Have you set your zones up in the Tools - Options - Athlete tab?

IMO GC is the best free tool for data analysis. Garmin Connect is a complete waste of time.

Was just going to say this, also, depending on the version you are using, I am guessing Nige got the last release version, not the current release candidate (unless they have released officially now), the charts are placed in different locations within the UI.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Of course you can train without such information but without it how do you know when to train and how hard ?

We'll get there in the end I suppose, but I warn you my interest may well have waned by that time.

Short of buying a power meter (or doing all of your training in a lab), you will never KNOW. You will have to go on perceived exertion (feel) if you choose not to invest in a HR monitor and learn how to use it, preferably by reading one or more of the many books regarding the use of such devices.

lukesdad

Short of buying a power meter (or doing all of your training in a lab), you will never KNOW. You will have to go on perceived exertion (feel) if you choose not to invest in a HR monitor and learn how to use it, preferably by reading one or more of the many books regarding the use of such devices.
How the feck is a power meter going to help you decide how to train on a given day ?

VamP

Banned
Was just going to say this, also, depending on the version you are using, I am guessing Nige got the last release version, not the current release candidate (unless they have released officially now), the charts are placed in different locations within the UI.

I am sticking with 2.1 - bug free, and I prefer the interface.

Top Bottom