Unenjoyable commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

magnatom

Back from the docs and have some antibiotics to take (which I am pleased to report do not mention anything about alcohol being a problem :smile:)

tdr1nka,

Knife was clean'ish and I did wash the wound (ouch!) afterwards.

BentMikey,

I'll have you know I have a spotlessly clean a.....

Hey ho. Who knows maybe I will be back on the bike tomorrow (if I can sneak it past the wife!! :biggrin: )

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
LOLOL! Good luck china!

Cab

magnatom said:
Back from the docs and have some antibiotics to take (which I am pleased to report do not mention anything about alcohol being a problem :biggrin:)

May I be so rude as to ask which antibiotics you're on?

Cab

magnatom said:
You may indeed! I got the catch-all Flucloxacillin 500mg. The strong ones. Lets hope my bowels can cope :biggrin:.

Good luck with that! Presumably prescribed to be taken an hour before eating? Is that meant to reduce risk of some of the less pleasant bowel issues you can get with the drug?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Cab said:
Good luck with that! Presumably prescribed to be taken an hour before eating? Is that meant to reduce risk of some of the less pleasant bowel issues you can get with the drug?

Yes an hour before food. I think it is to stop interactions of the drug with food. Food can reduce drug uptake with some drugs, so I assume this is one of them.

Bowels can go crazy because the antibiotic is not particularly targeted (to say the least!) and so kills of a lot of good gut bugs at the same time which can lead to problems.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

User,

No fear, I always make sure I finish a course. Up until recently I was taking some bug filled yougurts. I will probably start taking them again. As my wife is a dietician she knows all about pre and pro-biotics etc.....

Dom,

So which body parts have you dispensed with to become a real cyclist? :angry:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
magnatom said:
You may indeed! I got the catch-all Flucloxacillin 500mg. The strong ones. Lets hope my bowels can cope :angry:.

I had them when I fell off in 2006 and the large areas where I lost skin got infected, despite washing the wounds when I got home (you could have heard me shrieking for miles when I did, big jessie that I am) and applying clean, sterile dressing and antiseptic creams.

Only side effect I had was that they made me feel nauseous whilst I took the course.

Hope things are on the mend soon !

Cab

BentMikey said:
Do these things really work? I'm sure I recall reading several sources that said this kind of thing was a load of bunkum.

Mostly, no. Theres an argument for using them after antibiotics, but eating a good diet rich in fruit and veg will have a bigger impact on your gut microflora (edit: thats the 'prebiotic' approach that Mags wife will no doubt make him familiar with).

OP
OP
M

magnatom

It's looking a bit better today so the antibiotics seem to be doing the trick :smile:.

I was thinking of cycling again tomorrow, but I hear tales of 70mph gales here in Glasgow......:sad:

Top Bottom