"Unfair" Fine for using bus lane?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
*really* used to wind me up when I saw manchester councils little 2seater with camera on the top which spots the 'poor motorists' perhaps driving down the bus lane..

mainly because it was always not there when some muppet decides to fly down the lane and thus gets away with it, grrrrr..

on your driveway ? think i'd have blocked her in... or maybe asked her for the 20quid charge... i mean, you do charge 20quid per day for parking dont you?

what winds me up is the vehicles newham and Waltham forest have for the same purpose, being parked illegally whilst doing the job they are supposed to. esopecially when they park in the cycle lane ( mandatory no car use ) to do it

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I managed to stop a driver getting a fine the other week... so to speak. He nearly turned into Porchester Road in Southampton at the wrong end (no entry to motorised vehicles). I saw him indicate and he looked lost, so I pointed at the sign and wagged the finger to get his attention. Thing is I have seen PCSOs down there recently as a LOT of drivers were trying it on and causing a stalemate when other cars came the correct way.

Wonder how many have been caught?

abo

First time I drove in London I somehow wound up in a bus lane. Can't remember why now, it was years ago. The letter came with a picture of me in the bus lane, bang to rights. I just paid up and made sure I never did it again. Simples.

stowie

Legendary Member
what winds me up is the vehicles newham and Waltham forest have for the same purpose, being parked illegally whilst doing the job they are supposed to. esopecially when they park in the cycle lane ( mandatory no car use ) to do it

Forest road by Blackhorse lane. They lurk at the other side of the lights to catch the motorists doing an illegal left turn.

Only problem is that they wait on the double yellows across the cycle lane. And if you are coming up from Tottenham Hale way then this is the point where the two lanes of traffic going across the junction have to merge. And I am left having to negotiate my way in past the camera car as well. And it is a bit uphill so I am not exactly traveling my fastest either.

davefb

Guru
First time I drove in London I somehow wound up in a bus lane. Can't remember why now, it was years ago. The letter came with a picture of me in the bus lane, bang to rights. I just paid up and made sure I never did it again. Simples.

my sister in law managed to get one,,,, mainly because she works shifts and is normally down a road where you can go in the lane when she goes to work..

except on this shift, it was 9am...

hope she paid more attention at work, since shes a nurse!

Our local paper is full of stuff like this. "I parked with two wheels on the pavement but I was only gone for 30 seconds and I got a £60 fine. Don't these people have better things to do?" Well no not when idiots make it easy for them to rake in money. I've actually emailed my council to say that if they stuck a camera car across the road from my house, it would pay for itself in about 3 months.

However the best one was the woman who parked on my driveway, not across it actually on it, and came back and said "but I was only gone a couple of minutes". My response is unrepeatable but it did have the words "there's a car park 50 yards away, use it" in it.

I'd have got some sort of tools out and started digging a ditch stopping the car from being removed

that or started stripping it and when she came back "oh, sorry, I thought you were my next customer who's come for the cambelt changing" :biggrin:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I'd have got some sort of tools out and started digging a ditch stopping the car from being removed

that or started stripping it and when she came back "oh, sorry, I thought you were my next customer who's come for the cambelt changing" :biggrin:

Then tell her your hourly rate for the time you spent stripping it and the time you will now spend putting it back together! Or take the wheels off ('I thought you'd come for the wheel change...)

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I reported a taxi driver for parking on our driveway. Heard a car reverse into the driveway, windows open as it was summer so assumed it was family. A couple of minutes went by and I thought "they're taking long!?" Go to the window and see a taxi parked there. He must have noticed me as he started the engine and drove off.

Then tell her your hourly rate for the time you spent stripping it and the time you will now spend putting it back together! Or take the wheels off ('I thought you'd come for the wheel change...)

The effects of half the engine being out of the car would have been more amusing than just the wheels being off :tongue:

that or claim that you were sure it was your car (same make and model etc)

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Oringinal post, We've been chatting over there.....Looking like the lanes only upto 9am and the film runs from 09:00:30

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
So his argument is that although the lane is operational till 9:30, they only informed people that it'd be enforced by camera till 9:00
The camera says after 9:00 so it shouldn't be used as evidence.....

Knowing Sheff Council and the drubbing they got with the Wicker bus gate, they'll probably fold on this one.:angry:

Bicycle

I remember my late father collecting a fine for putting his offside tyres across a solid line just before it ended, when overtaking.

He'd learned to drive in 1940 and it was his only ever fine. I guess it was the late seventies when he was fined.

His response was stoical and contrite.

"I was a bloody fool; there was plenty of room to pass; I ought to have waited."

That fine nagged at him for years.

I have a slightly uncomfortable feeling about motorists who wriggle on the hook.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
I rarely drive into Sheffield any more. Decathlon Sports once every couple of months

It's a real pain, the geography of the city is terrible for trying to establish an efficient transport network. The planners have tried to incorporate bus lanes into roads that are barely wide enough. Many of which operate 24 hours which causes congestion !!

It's such a hotch potch of bus lanes, no left turn, no right turn, tram gates, no entry - access only etc..

It's got progessively worse over the 20 years I've lived up here.

Luckily I work at Meadowhall which is a doddle to get to, and no bus lanes on the M1

Top Bottom