Unfortunate (genuine) names

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I used to communicate by phone with a bloke called Barry Bytheway, I can imagine he got fed up of explaining his name, when people asked what his name was and he replied its Barry Bytheway, to be answered with yes, but what's your surname.
I had a Bytheway as a colleague some time back.

Also had a Mr Kitchen. When his friend needed to call him he always started the conversation by asking for sandwiches for a business lunch, as this often happened accidentally due to his proximity on the internal phone list.

Brains

Legendary Member
Two girls at school who were best friends and did everything together, their surnames were:
Easy Lay

The question the boys never got answered, were they ?

Rezillo

TwoSheds
There were a number of Gotobeds in the Ipswich area in the 1980s and probably still are. The name rather stuck when one rang me at work and I was worried it was a windup from my colleagues. I was still smarting from visiting a Mrs Barham (Suffolk pronounciation roughly as Barrum) only to be told at her front door in a thunderous voice "It's Bar Ham, young man!".

I've just had a look at the 1911 census figures and Gotobeds were fairly well distributed across East Anglia and the East Midlands at that time.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
When I worked in Norwich for a short time in ?1974?, there was a family kept the Post Office in a little village ... they were the Gotobeds and the PO was in Great Snoring ...
True, entirely true. The Gotobed family name was local to the area of Great and Little Snoring and round about.

There were a number of Gotobeds in the Ipswich area in the 1980s and probably still are. The name rather stuck when one rang me at work and I was worried it was a windup from my colleagues. I was still smarting from visiting a Mrs Barham (Suffolk pronounciation roughly as Barrum) only to be told at her front door in a thunderous voice "It's Bar Ham, young man!".

I've just had a look at the 1911 census figures and Gotobeds were fairly well distributed across East Anglia and the East Midlands at that time.

Now you mention it, I recall my Dad also referring in conversation, to a Mrs Gotobed who lived in the Peak District in the 1960s, which isn't that far from the East Midlands.

Vertego

Just reflecting on the meaning of life.
When I worked in an insurance brokers office I always remember one client called James Bond. Always had to try not to laugh when he said it. Oh, and he was nothing like the real James Bond! :laugh:
Likewise, I too worked in an insurance brokers' office where we had a client called James Bond. He too was anything but 007!

In the same office, we also had a client who went by the name of Miss C Hiscock.

Vertego

Just reflecting on the meaning of life.
There is a village in South-west France called " Condome". Never been there though.
There is indeed, but no 'e'

Screenshot 2022-01-06 093718.jpg

winjim

Smash the cistern
I just learned from the You're Dead To Me podcast that the best friend of Mary Wollstonecraft was a woman by the name of Fanny Blood.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanny_Blood?wprov=sfla1

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I had a Mr Bedwell and a Miss Topliss at school. Worse still, I know a German woman who works in a secondary school. Miss W@nke. Pronounced "Venk", but that won't help.

There's a Bruce Wienke who's a leading academic into scuba diving decompression physiology (ie avoiding "the bends") I have one of his books

and when he calls it "basic" he doesn't quite mean beginner level

Attachments

• 0769D68E-6568-41ED-887D-4207E4580B2B.jpeg
    0769D68E-6568-41ED-887D-4207E4580B2B.jpeg
    64.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 503E0690-90EB-460A-B835-456D52329810.jpeg
    503E0690-90EB-460A-B835-456D52329810.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Top Bottom