Unfortunate (genuine) names

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roley poley

Über Member
there is a Gaelic footballer called Sean Quigley ...i wonder if his signature is legible or squiggly?

icowden

Veteran
There's a detective serving with Durham Constabulary called Death.

Strictly, it's D'eath.

I've never met the guy to inquire about how his name is pronounced, but I think it's 'Dee-ath'.

Better than that, the University of Cambridge has Dr D'Eath (Professor of Mathmatics).
On a slight tangent my dad was called Douglas Robert Cowden. He always claimed that he did a PHD in Polymer Chemistry as he was fed up of getting letters addressed to Dr Cowden instead of D.R. Cowden and wanted to see what would happen when he was Dr D.R. Cowden.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I went to university in the 80's with a female student whose surname was Wyndass....cue fart jokes from undergrads:okay:.

Once joked with someone called Mr Kirk if his first name was James...err...yes it was^_^.

One of our stand-in lecturers was a lady with bright orange hair called Eileen. She took us out on geography field trips. Unfortunately (for her) this was at the same time as Dexy's Midnight Runners were in the charts with their famous hit. Poor Eileen, stuck in a minibus with a dozen slightly boozed up undergrads.....

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Reading odd names out at graduations can be ... erm ... interesting. I've done it a couple of times and had to be very careful with the pronunciation, otherwise a large auditorium takes a collective deep breath and/or collapses into laughter.

Brandane

Legendary Member
When I worked in an insurance brokers office I always remember one client called James Bond. Always had to try not to laugh when he said it. Oh, and he was nothing like the real James Bond! :laugh:
In my Police days, I once stopped a car to speak to the driver about a minor traffic offence. I asked the arrogant young driver what his name was and he told me "James Bond". Fortunately I stopped short of dragging him out of the car in handcuffs before I realised he was being serious, and his name actually was James Bond!
If he had really been at the wind up, I suppose he would have answered "The name is Bond; ..... JAMES Bond".

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
in the tour de france at the weekend they kept calling Nans Peters - Nonce peters.....didnt sound good

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I share my name with a US white supremacist, so it's not too much of a problem in the UK.
SWMBO's first and second name sound almost the same, which can be an issue at times for her. But then she chose to marry me :whistle:

Brandane

Legendary Member
When we brought "clients" into the Police office to process them prior to putting them in a cell, they were always required to give their full name, including middle names.
One guy was always proud to loudly give his name as Andrew Donnachie Dick Smith (first and last names changed for obvious reasons). The local west of Scotland accent though, makes Donnachie sound like Donkey....

Sharky

Guru
There was a very good cyclist some years ago. His name was Cliff Ash. Some of you may have heard of him. I think he was in the Mid Shropshire Wheelers.

Any way, I bought a frame off him. The one on my avatar photo for £8. A lot of money in 1969.

Always amused me that I had to write a cheque payable to CASH!

Top Bottom