Unfortunate (genuine) names

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
There used to be a GP in Mallaig called Donald Duck.

(And no, he wasn't a quack.)
And that is not made up. It is true.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
There's a detective serving with Durham Constabulary called Death.

Strictly, it's D'eath.

I've never met the guy to inquire about how his name is pronounced, but I think it's 'Dee-ath'.
We had a plumber with that name and his family still live here. Pronounced Dee - ath right enough.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
There was a very good cyclist some years ago. His name was Cliff Ash. Some of you may have heard of him. I think he was in the Mid Shropshire Wheelers.

Any way, I bought a frame off him. The one on my avatar photo for £8. A lot of money in 1969.

Always amused me that I had to write a cheque payable to CASH!

Which reminds me of a criminal who worked for BT processing cheque payments.

His first name had the initial B and his second name was Taylor.

Many people paid their bills with a cheque written out to 'B T'.

Mr Taylor simply added 'aylor' to loads of the cheques.

He got away with a few thousand before he was inevitably caught.

If I recall, he marked many of the accounts as paid - BT's ropy accounts system did the rest.

He was eventually captured by the Zimbabwe embassy, who used the old-fashioned practice of asking their bank to return cheques to them once they were paid.

Someone at the embassy tried to reconcile their payment to B Taylor, couldn't, and called the cops.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I used to work with a young lady called Joy Cocks.
(Correct spelling by the way, she wasn't a "Cox")

I also worked with a Sergeant Sargent, that always put me in mind of Major Major in Catch 22.

Nibor

Bewildered
I have been blessed with the name Robin Holmes

KneesUp

Guru
Which reminds me of a criminal who worked for BT processing cheque payments.

His first name had the initial B and his second name was Taylor.

Many people paid their bills with a cheque written out to 'B T'.

Mr Taylor simply added 'aylor' to loads of the cheques.
I recall a similar story about someone working at the Inland Revenue - the story was that people used to write cheques to I R - so he created an account called I R Smith or similar, and did the same sort of thing as your Mr Taylor.

Over the years people began to write their cheques to 'Inland Revenue' so the enterprising individual created a company called Finland Revenue Leisure and carried on - except the company was easier to trace to him. Not sure how true my story is though.

It's not just names but also initials ...
At secondary school in the late 50s/early 60s, the girl's games teacher was also a needlework teacher (and a nasty little witch of low intellect and high prudery). We had horrid wrap-over 'games skirts' to wear and were instructed to bring them to needlework where we had to embroider our initials on the wrap-over flap bit. Only the initials of our first and last names. One girl asked, very politely, if she could embroider her middle initial as well. NO! was the answer. Don't argue girl, I've given the instructions, JUST DO IT.

So Veronica Anne Dawson used the brightest colour thread she could find and took the largest stencil letters in the classroom's stock and embroidered VD in bright yellow on the navy skirt, right in front of her lady/girl parts. As 12yos we all thought this was hilariously rude but Miss Witch almost fell into a fit of some sort. We all said earnestly - and honestly - that Veronica had only done exactly what Miss Witch had told her to do, when the head of department came into the classroom to find out what all the noise was about ... Even all these years later, I am certain I saw the head's mouth twitch into a quickly-extinguished smile and there was a certain strain in her voice as she tried to sound stern in telling us all to calm down. Most of us unpicked our initials within a week or two, if they didn't become unravelled in the wash anyway.

KneesUp

Guru
I worked at an Exam board many years ago, and the job involved manually checking that exam scores were correctly entered for the correct pupils - barcodes do that job now I expect. Anyway, in pairs we had to read through print outs of pupils names and scores while the other one checked through the packet of papers to check the actual paper had the same score as was on the computer. There were loads of funny names - I often wondered why parents did it. Dwayne Pipe and Rose Bush are two I remember clearly being real people.

Drago

Legendary Member
I share my name with a US white supremacist, so it's not too much of a problem in the UK.
SWMBO's first and second name sound almost the same, which can be an issue at times for her. But then she chose to marry me :whistle:
I share my name with an infamous American, and on occssion I've have people thinking I was taking the pees in some way. The fact that im not 35 stone and I'm still very much alive would make any sensible citizen realise I'm not a wannabe inpersonator.

And another one. I knew a J R Hartley. Justin to you and me, but if anyone asked his name he would say, "ah, yes, my name... J R Hartley."

Last edited:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I’m sure we’ve done this topic before.
One of my university lecturers was called Dick Goodenough.
I also worked with a lady called Tuppence Moore.
And know a lady called Penny Wise.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
My sister had a pal called Theresa Green.
I went to Primary School with Theresa Green, and a friend called Brian Wood married a primary teacher called Theresa- she kept her maiden name at school.
Lecturer and Head of Year at Dundee was Ronald MacDonald + he had a brother called Donald.
Also worked with Joseph [Joe] King, Matthew [Matt] Grey, Mathew [Matt] Black, and Robert [Bob] Down.

Oh, and a planner at Gateshead Council called Lois Lovely. The Council's staff list started with surnames first.

Last edited:
Top Bottom