Unhygenic bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
I went in Tesco with my bike at the weekend and some security guard told me to leave it outside. Well I don't think so not in the area I was in at the time. He said it was a health and safety hazard, I replied that I will take my business elsewhere then as Morrisons lets me take my bike in.

rusky

CC Addict
I don't see an issue with regards to hygene as they let push chairs & wheel chairs in. Also, how many people go into a supermarket, nip to the toilets, don't wash their hands & then go straight on to handle fruit & veg?

Having seen how some old people drive mobility scooters in stores though, I would think a bike was the least of their worries regarding H&S.

rusky

CC Addict
Fluffy said:
I went in Tesco with my bike at the weekend and some security guard told me to leave it outside. Well I don't think so not in the area I was in at the time. He said it was a health and safety hazard, I replied that I will take my business elsewhere then as Morrisons lets me take my bike in.

You should have asked him for the risk assessment to back up his claim :biggrin:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Rhythm Thief said:
Another reason not to use Supermarkets. Although most of my local shops wouldn't have the room in them for a bike, they probably wouldn't object to me standing outside and shouting what I wanted through the door.:ohmy:

I'm imagining you at the chemist door yelling out for your usual haemorrhoid cream and another bumper pack of small size Mates!

Ranger

I have taken my bike into into McDonalds (I know, but I like it) several times, I even went through the drive-thru once:biggrin:

It raises a few smiles but nothing else

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
jeltz said:
Why do you have a sausage counter in your lycra shorts ? :ohmy:

She's there to ensure everything's as it should be. She only works Wednesday afternoons and Saturday mornings. :angry:

OP
OP
SavageHoutkop

SavageHoutkop

Veteran
Rhythm Thief said:
Another reason not to use Supermarkets.

Yip, I usually don't - this was midday on a Sunday in the 'middle of nowhere' so I was a bit more restricted in my choices...
My usual haunts have no problems with my half-folded B masquerading as a shopping trolley (indeed, her front basket is my shopping trolley)

dodgy

I think it's fair to ask you not to bring your bike into a shop. It wouldn't take much for someone to brush past your chain or some other oily part of the bike and get a nice stain for their trouble.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
It wouldn't occur to me to take my bike into a a shop with me (unless it was exceptional circumstances), but I can understand your pain - if you were to go into a super market with your shoes covered in dog s**t, would security ask you to leave??

No, of course not.

battered

Guru
They allow mobility scooters in because people in wheelchairs don't have a choice. Likewise guide dogs but you wouldn't let Joe Chav in with his Rottweiler. would you?
People are asked not to allow their children's dirty shoes inside the trolley, but they routinely ignore these requests. It doesn't mean that you and I can reasonably ignore any other requests that anyone makes of us that day. I wish it did.

Next time you are campaigning for your "right" to bring your bike in the store make sure you insist that the half dozen teenagers outside are also allowed in with their BMX bikes so they can leave them propped against the chilled counter while they buy a bag of crisps.

Their store, their rules. You don't like it, shop elsewhere.

OP
OP
SavageHoutkop

SavageHoutkop

Veteran
dodgy said:
I think it's fair to ask you not to bring your bike into a shop. It wouldn't take much for someone to brush past your chain or some other oily part of the bike and get a nice stain for their trouble.

Fair enough, except that's not the reason they were quoting, he was convinced this was a hygeine problem in a food shop.
(and she doesn't have oily bits that can be bumped against easily)

I also suspect there was nowhere outside to lock her to outside in any case, and I was on my own without a lock. Yeah, yeah, planning, I know...

The shop wasn't busy either - if it had been I wouldn't have brought her in unfolded.

Top Bottom